Tank Journal Archive

Chunks

Jun 5, 2013
What I hope to achieve
I really want to create a beautiful Pico tank for my desktop to keep me company while I work at designing and maintaining websites all day.

I really want to add a couple of small clown fish and nothing else as far as fish go. I suppose I'll need a few snails for clean up. I would like to keep a few corals but I will need to be guided on what will work well. I love the soft corals like hammers and so forth so hopefully I can keep a couple of small ones.

I have 3 other freshwater tanks in the house, one planted and one Discus, the other two tanks are not setup up yet but I will be setting up the planted 45 cube in the near future. Yes I suffer from MTS... :)

Chunks

Jun 5, 2013
love the look of this tank so far!!
Thanks mate I appreciate it!

I'll be looking forward to getting this up and running.

I have a couple of questions about what I should have in the sump?
- Live Rock yes/no
- Activated Carbon yes/no
- Bioballs yes/no
- Filter sock yes/no

I was thinking of adding extra live rock but having it sit on an egg crate frame so that its not sitting on the sump floor so that it gets good flow and so that I can siphon underneath it when doing water changes. Would this be a good idea? I could also add a wave maker to the sump if needed?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice lighting :D

And really great work on the overflow, looks great.

On the sump questions ...
Live rock - depends how much you have in your display, but I would say no.
Activated carbon - yes a good idea on a small tank like this
Bioballs - depends on the coral you want to put in the tank
Filter sock - usually a good idea to help keep the water clear

Really look forward to seeing this progress!

Chunks

Jun 5, 2013
Nice lighting :D

And really great work on the overflow, looks great.

On the sump questions ...
Live rock - depends how much you have in your display, but I would say no.
Activated carbon - yes a good idea on a small tank like this
Bioballs - depends on the coral you want to put in the tank
Filter sock - usually a good idea to help keep the water clear

Really look forward to seeing this progress!
Thanks for your response! Yes it's a nice light :) What distance should I set it above my tank?

I was thinking that I might still build the egg crate rack so that I can sit things like carbon on it, it should get better water flow that way? Later if I want to add more live rock I can just sit it on top.

Is it better to add all your live rock you need from the start? Can you expect a mini cycle if you put in new rock later on?

Sorry for the 1000s questions. One more what size heater would you guys recommend? Would a 50w heater be sufficient? The whole system is going to =< 60 litres.

Does any one know how many watts the STC-1000 can handled?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks for your response! Yes it's a nice light :) What distance should I set it above my tank?

I was thinking that I might still build the egg crate rack so that I can sit things like carbon on it, it should get better water flow that way? Later if I want to add more live rock I can just sit it on top.

Is it better to add all your live rock you need from the start? Can you expect a mini cycle if you put in new rock later on?

Sorry for the 1000s questions. One more what size heater would you guys recommend? Would a 50w heater be sufficient? The whole system is going to =< 60 litres.

Does any one know how many watts the STC-1000 can handled?
The light looks okay where it is now, could probably lower it a bit to reduce light spillage ... though again depends on the corals you have in there and how much light they would need.

Yep best to add the rock you need, new rock could cause a mini cycle as you say. But it's not the end of the world if you need to add more, can always add dry rock or good quality live rock.

A 50W heater should be okay - is this in your house or an office? Just need to factor in the minimum ambient temperature when deciding on heater size.

No help at all on the STC, sorry ;)