Reef Discussion

RVH082

Apr 11, 2014
What Salt To Use???
Just wondering what salt people recommend for best results in FO ( for the time being) tank.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
All good mate!

Well it's up to you, but for a fish only tank I don't think you'd need any fancy salt (they just have elevated levels of certain elements for corals). NSW just seems easiest to me, but if you'd prefer to make RO then mix in salt - that's up to you :) I couldn't be bothered that's for sure!

Sam

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you can get to somewhere close enough to gather natural sea water by all means do so.
If you follow a few basic rules of when and where to get your water it's certainly the cheapest and best way to keep up your water supply.
I only gather when -
It hasn't rained for around 3 days (water is cleaner and salinity is better)
1 hour before high tide (incoming)
Away from boat activity (contaminates in the water)
That's about it. It will keep well in drums until you need it. I always do a quick water test on each batch just to make sure it's OK, mainly salinity and I've never had a problem.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Also - depending on where you are located, there are lots of LFS's that sell NSW and even people that will deliver it. Just makes it all too easy :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Also - depending on where you are located, there are lots of LFS's that sell NSW and even people that will deliver it. Just makes it all too easy :)
Thats so true, my LFS sells NSW dirt cheap and always excellent quality but I enjoy going out in the morning sunshine to get my NSW. (which tests the same as what I can buy.)