Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
What Wet Vac You Got?
What wet vac you got?
Good bad?

It's so hard to find bucketVac; the one that I found cost $200.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yep - I have two. One that has a "stainless drum" I say that with inverted commas as I think it is a fairly cheap and nasty stainless! Not that I really care, it doesn't end up holding salt water for long. It cost about $30 from memory?

I have another one which was a sale item from bunnings some time ago and I havent used it yet. It literally is just the motor and host part, you clip it onto a 5 gallon drum (also fits the salt buckets we all have laying around the house)

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Godfreys. Plastic barrels. $69

Terrific job. Used 2 yrs good as new
@Lesley didn't know you use wet vac :D

the one that you have is this one right? Did it fill up quite quick before you have the chance to suck all the detritus?

yep - I have two. One that has a "stainless drum" I say that with inverted commas as I think it is a fairly cheap and nasty stainless! Not that I really care, it doesn't end up holding salt water for long. It cost about $30 from memory?

I have another one which was a sale item from bunnings some time ago and I havent used it yet. It literally is just the motor and host part, you clip it onto a 5 gallon drum (also fits the salt buckets we all have laying around the house)
Thanks @Sam Parker !!!

I'm quite interested with the one that you haven't use... I think I know what you are referring to .. it's pretty much like a vacbucket ... do you know what brand? I'll try to look for it in Bunnings website.

My candidate is either the shop vac like what Lesley got and the vacBucket like what you (Sam P) got.

Thanks folks!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@potatocouch
I use pump to pump 90% water out first, then last 10% left is detritus and don't have to empty as often

I Empty & wet dry vac sump every 3 months.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I was considering to use this as part of my weekly WC ... considering I only have 200L tank and 10% WC = 20L which what the maximum capacity of most wet vac.

So my intention is not just sucking detritus but also the 20L water.

Bad idea?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I was considering to use this as part of my weekly WC ... considering I only have 200L tank and 10% WC = 20L which what the maximum capacity of most wet vac.

So my intention is not just sucking detritus but also the 20L water.

Bad idea?
Takes 1 min to fill mine with 30lt capacity.
So don't see any reason why not
:)