New To Reefing

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
What's On My New Rock?
Hi all. I finally have my 150 tank running after weeks of testing and the rest. I added water and rock today and have a query about the soft jelly like stuff on one rock. It's in the second photo and want to know if its bad and needs removing before it gets bad. Plus them green pillars. Cheers for any help
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
Thanks all

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Not sure about the jelly stuff but a lot of that green looks like green hair algae, if it is you are in for a battle, it's not easy to get rid. Google it to see if it looks like what you have. If so, me personally I would abandon that rock and get rid of it.

Some of the jokers around here jokingly call me Mr Macro because I'm always experimenting with macro algae and I have put a green hair algae outcrop on a rock, out in the weather, for two months over summer, returned it to salt water and it grew - it is tough stuff to kill.

It can be done but it is a lot of work and will cause mini cycles in your tank more likely than not.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I don't think it's hair algae but i agree i would not want to start a new tank with any algae on my rocks. There is more than enough algae that will appear out of thin air down the track. You don't want to give it an easy start. Sorry but no idea no about the jelly. I would be more worried about the algae.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Thanks for the help, all the rocks came from the same tank, so would it be on them all? can I get away with physically removing all i can see?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Is that jelly more sponge like than it is jelly?

If so it just looks like some sort of sponge, not incredibly useful, but I'd remove it in my opinion.

With regards to algae - I have never had a major problem and I attribute this much to my hermit crabs' insatiable desire to eat it.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Hermits don't generally eat GHA. Like I said, google it and make a comparison then take it from there. In my experience just physical removal won't do it because every strand that escapes, makes a new colony. I've had 'some' success with hand removal combined with spot peroxide treatment but the rock has to come out of the tank for peroxide. First step is to positively id it.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The brown thing is a sponge. That algae looks like turtle weed to me. I have it on some rock and It doesn't get out of control, I snip it off and it grows back. It's not particularly fast growing.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Is that jelly more sponge like than it is jelly?

If so it just looks like some sort of sponge, not incredibly useful, but I'd remove it in my opinion.

With regards to algae - I have never had a major problem and I attribute this much to my hermit crabs' insatiable desire to eat it.
Just curious as to why would remove the sponge?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have just found that if it is in fact dead, it could just be a another place for detritus to become trapped. Also, I just found that it my tank it just looks unsightly :)
My glass in the sump was completely covered in this sponge, it was horrible to remove when I cleaned my sump out lol.
If it is still alive then it would do no harm but I am not fond of how it looks either, especially when it starts taking over entire rocks!

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
The brown thing is a sponge. That algae looks like turtle weed to me. I have it on some rock and It doesn't get out of control, I snip it off and it grows back. It's not particularly fast growing.
Well for now I have taken out all the rock with any algae like in the photos and put them in a bucket with heater and water flow. Don't really have time today to play with it. And it's not worth the risk for only $30-40 of rock, bummer is they were the better rocks.

I might look for cleaner rocks today and I can alway add the others back or to the sumo later. I want a minimal look so some will be in the sump anyway.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Well for now I have taken out all the rock with any algae like in the photos and put them in a bucket with heater and water flow. Don't really have time today to play with it. And it's not worth the risk for only $30-40 of rock, bummer is they were the better rocks.

I might look for cleaner rocks today and I can alway add the others back or to the sumo later. I want a minimal look so some will be in the sump anyway.
I wouldn't, that rock is perfect. There are things on there that I would kill to have, Codium, Chloriopsis and all the other cool things milling about.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I agree, id love to have that rock - so much happening on it, that is some premium live rock!

Once your tank is established the more favorable flora and fauna will out-compete the unfavorable algae!

Last edited:

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Yep it's just not worth using that rock and if your local lfs sold you that, I would be concerned about either their knowledge, ethics, or both.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Ok thanks for all the input. Say I did keep it do I just remove all the furry green and leave the rest and hope for the best?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Pick it off carefully. I see some coral and zooanthids on the piece you're holding. Personally, I'd put a little more GFO on the tank than is recommended and rock on. That rock is quite obviously freshly collected and chock full of life. That rock here in the USA would fetch $50-$60/kg!

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Ok thanks for all the input. Say I did keep it do I just remove all the furry green and leave the rest and hope for the best?
Only if you want a disaster. Look up green hair algae. One of the most difficult problems you can have.
BTW some of that is definitely GHA.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You do realize that EVERYTHING you add to a tank carries it on it right? Algae control is a simple bit of math, more or the same nutrients out than in, nothing more, nothing less. There are many ways to deal with nutrient pollution, but it all boils down to the same thing.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Yeah I have done a lot of research and think I can keep it under control with good house keeping and I cant avoid it anyway. It will come one day. Could be on any rock or frag.