Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
What's Your Take On High Alk For Accelerated Coral Growth?
Red Sea’s research into the long term physiological demands of SPS, LPS & Soft Corals in the reef aquarium has shown that enhanced coloration and accelerated growth require significantly different water conditions.

Just like their Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, when mixed at 1.025 SG, it brings the Alk to 11.8 - 12.2 dKH, which Sharon Ram (Chief Scientist @ Red Sea) claimed a level that is good for accelerated coral growth.

ai.imgur.com_gu79zvY.jpg

What's your take on this elevated Alk @ 12.6 dKH? Have you had experience in the past raising it and maintaining the level of Alkalinity at high level (12 dKH) accelerates the growth of coral? or on contrary, some folks mentioned that they've experienced RTN or burnt tips?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hey mate,
From my understanding is if you keep your ALK that high you need to keep your nutrients up (No carbon dosing)
also to accelerate growth will come at a cost of losing color , you can not target both.

For the record I have never kept my AlK that high. I target 7.5 for my tank.

Have a look at this clip from about 3 mins

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Also take a look at this presentation from MACNA that BRS TV have posted. (not sure on the rules in here of posting links)

Is a good watch and points out the the links with Alk and Photosynthesis, it does touch on burnt tips with high Alk so you need to be mindfull of what stock you have

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
@potatocouch - maybe start a poll about what kh people are running these days.
The bell graph trend might see your 10 toward the higher side of alkalinity trend these days.
Remember there must be a balance of Ca to Mg to KH to Ph to Stability to salinity at all these ratio as well as a temperature factor . If any are skewed expect well sub par growth.
Furthermore research each and every tank of the month on Reefcentral over the last decade to give yourself an indication toward the current trend of where a modern reefer runs the above mentioned parameters in regard to kh.