Reef Discussion

Which Magnet(s) Have You Used or Do You Use?

• Total voters

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Which Glass Cleaner Do You Use?
Hey Guys,

I just got an Elos Midi for my gf and as it is pricey i didn't wanna scratch the glass. (over paranoid i think)

how do you clean your glass?

Hammerhead Float? By Hand? Flipper Mag? etc.

Let me know i will add a poll as i get the names in replies :)

Thanks

Leo

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Dnt set it up till magnet comes out? I use to use filter pad, the white stuff worked.a charm, and jus throw it out afterwards,
i have a 4 week window to cycle, i guess i wont have too much on the glass in that time so should be ok but just curious in general.

Algae Free magnets!! :D lol I use a hammerhead on my cade hl600 (glass is 100mm thick) hasn't scratched or anything!! Bloody good cleaners!
How to you clean that hard to reach stuff that builds up on the edge of the sandbed...the scratch teasing factory i like to call it lol

Flipper for me, but never used a Hammerhead so don't know if it is better...
i have used it before only the scraper side though, found it worked well except i had curved front edges so it kept bending the blades lol

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I used a Tunze mag unit, picked up a grain of sand and put two scratches in mine. Never again so I stick with doing it by Hand. I also have a feeling the low iron glass is softer than normal glass as well.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
How to you clean that hard to reach stuff that builds up on the edge of the sandbed...the scratch teasing factory i like to call it lol
haha no problems, just a little backwards and forwards a few times, even does coralline algae with a few go over's! I should be getting a scraper but I haven't been bothered yet haha it works like a charm anywhere and everywhere :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Algea free kills the flipper, vertex is best for thinner glass.

Kent scraper is awesome for the hard bits and the bottom 6" of the tank and sand

E

ezza

I have the mag float scraper. I know it's not meant to be left on the side of the tank, but I do. It's perfect, great for cleaning everything. It removes the green algae on the back wall more effectively than my cheap telescopic aqua one scraper with changeable heads... I just can't get my arm far enough behind to be able to do the entire back with it. If sand gets stuck in the Velcro like teeth on the inside, I just pull the external magnet off and let it bounce toward and away from the glass a few times. I washed it once. I have never scratched the glass with trapped sand as the Velcro like teethy things are longer than the average grain thus preventing scratching. Dropping live rock against the glass -will- scratch however! The only real complaint I have is that I am annoyed at myself for the time I failed to heed the instructions and got my finger "bitten" by the attracting of the magnets outside of the tank. There was only one word for it. It started with F.

Oh! I recently bought a $2 kitchen pot scrubbing brush, on the back of the head of white plastic filaments there is a sharpened scraper. It does a bloody good job of the algae I have trouble with on the back.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
haha no problems, just a little backwards and forwards a few times, even does coralline algae with a few go over's! I should be getting a scraper but I haven't been bothered yet haha it works like a charm anywhere and everywhere :)
this doesnt pick up sand when you do it?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I have the mag float scraper. I know it's not meant to be left on the side of the tank, but I do. It's perfect, great for cleaning everything. It removes the green algae on the back wall more effectively than my cheap telescopic aqua one scraper with changeable heads... I just can't get my arm far enough behind to be able to do the entire back with it. If sand gets stuck in the Velcro like teeth on the inside, I just pull the external magnet off and let it bounce toward and away from the glass a few times. I washed it once. I have never scratched the glass with trapped sand as the Velcro like teethy things are longer than the average grain thus preventing scratching. Dropping live rock against the glass -will- scratch however! The only real complaint I have is that I am annoyed at myself for the time I failed to heed the instructions and got my finger "bitten" by the attracting of the magnets outside of the tank. There was only one word for it. It started with F.

Oh! I recently bought a $2 kitchen pot scrubbing brush, on the back of the head of white plastic filaments there is a sharpened scraper. It does a bloody good job of the algae I have trouble with on the back.
i used the magfloat on my 2ft cube and got some scratches, i liked the flipper mag as when its on the scraping mode it has plastic feet so the only part in contact on the inside is the blade nothing else.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
this doesnt pick up sand when you do it?
It does a little, a lot if I'm not careful :p but I've never had sand get caught in it or any scratches so I'd say it goes alright :) even the clam doesn't mind when the magnet brushes her mantle near the glass haha