Reef Discussion

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
Which Lights?!!!
Hi all. I'm looking at a 4x2x2 foot rimless tank and I need to decide which lights I want to get. I was thinking about 2 Kessil a360we dense matrix array lights with the spectral controller or the ATI power-module led (2x75 watt LEDs and 4 or 8 x 39 watt t5's). The tank would mainly be filled with sps and lps corals. Any thoughts???

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I also agree with these guys, Unless your tank is mainly filled with LPS with a couple of SPS, in which case the kessils would be good

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
i think it'll be in your best interest to steer clear from the ATI PM-LED units. Heard numerous cases of faults with the ballast, so much that the AUS distributor for ATI pulled out i believe? Not to sure but i think @thepubenator and a few other users can shed some light.

In saying that , the standalone T5 units (sunpower/powermodule) would be a good alternative, trialled and proven, can't go wrong really!

Last edited:

rnscross

Jul 16, 2011
is the light unit to be displayed above the tank as you're going rimless? ie does it need to look good?

daves88

Jul 25, 2014
ATI Hybrid is the light with issues.... Try and find a Sunpower/Powermodule they should be fine... or maybe look at the new Giesemann Matrix II?

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
Sorry for the very late reply...
The light does need to look good :) the geisemann is a bit expensive I think. I'm thinking kessils now since I'm not really looking for t5's. Are there any other options out there of the same calibre?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if sps go ati power module or gieseman t5
lps any decent led unit will suffice. i used to run illumagic blaze advanced. GHL mitras look good tho!