Reef Discussion

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, in some units it may be just 1 socket that is causing the problem but as I said, there is no way to differentiate between the good and bad ones.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, in some units it may be just 1 socket that is causing the problem but as I said, there is no way to differentiate between the good and bad ones.
Wouldn't daves fix still work on a normal socket? Seeing as the middle pin would be blank on a normal socket and isn't connected to anything (well here's hoping).

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks both. As rocker says, if this fix will work whichever the defective pin is then I have a chance at fixing. Still need to buy a solder iron, but I am sure it will come in handy one day ... and it would be a shame to abandon the unit given it is otherwise ready to rock.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Wouldn't daves fix still work on a normal socket? Seeing as the middle pin would be blank on a normal socket and isn't connected to anything (well here's hoping).
That's right. If you put the patch on all pins it won't matter if they're one or the other. That will make them all work the same.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Absolutely. My comment was more due to the fact that even if it is only 1 socket that causes the issue, you will need to solder all 5 (unless you solder 1, test, solder the next, test, etc) rather than just the "faulty" socket.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm still trying to work out why my unit flooded my tank twice after not cutting off.
I'm thinking of putting a separate cutoff switch as a backup, somehow.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
They don't seem to be sticking, they feel quite free when I test them, but I'm usually in such a mad panic when it happens that I don't notice if they are stuck or not.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Yup had to do something similar to get mine working. Did my head in to begin with as I used soldered connections and thought I stuffed one up. Spent ages going over everything.

But all go now. Just have to make up some proper brackets for my float switches as what I have is rather dodgy

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Well, it looks like I have at least one crappy sensor. After much much testing, it seems that one of the sensors will stay on regardless of whether the float is up or down but only intermittently. So when the good sensor shuts off the crook one keeps pumping. So whether I get some more sensors or go for a different setup I'm not sure.
Bugga!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I think I've got the ATO working properly, I found some better float switches at Jaycar, they were slightly more expensive but much more solid than the others I was using which seemed a bit flimsy.
I just made simple bracket out of leftover acrylic. Seems to be working a treat. (still very wary though)
ATO.jpg

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
I think I've got the ATO working properly, I found some better float switches at Jaycar, they were slightly more expensive but much more solid than the others I was using which seemed a bit flimsy.
I just made simple bracket out of leftover acrylic. Seems to be working a treat. (still very wary though)
View attachment 10497
I was going to mention it earlier when you posted a pic of your original floats. I had the same floats as them originally and suffered the same consequence.... intermittent switching resulting in 60L ATO RO dumps into the DT. I replaced the floats with these ones and haven't had a problem since.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
The one you just showed is the same brand as the ones I had trouble with. In fact, that is the one I still have as a cutoff in the RO tank.
The ones I got from Jaycar are much sturdier and the float works way better without catching.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Yeah, I looked at those ones also. Ended up going with the others. I think available room was the decider and they dropped too far before actuating.

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
The one you just showed is the same brand as the ones I had trouble with. In fact, that is the one I still have as a cutoff in the RO tank.
The ones I got from Jaycar are much sturdier and the float works way better without catching.
Argh... dont i feel like an idiot now lol. I mistook rockerpellers? photo of the ebay ones with yellow wires for yours... my apologies.

Now you've got me worried about my RS ones....:confused:

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Haven't had any dramas just yet fingers crossed. Sump can probably handle the 25L of ro if it does get stuck but would definitely be better if it didn't happen.

This is my sketchy setup. I'll make a proper proper one one-day

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_20130101_213128.jpg

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Had one stick today, but the secondary stopped it no worries. I stirred up all the crud in my sump and something must have got caught in it. Cleaned it out and it's running fine again

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Haven't had one stick yet. The top up container i use is only 10L which lasts a couple days, so if one does stick it's not a biggy.
I am looking at a few other switch types though. Found some infra red liquid sensors, which will go great on the arduino controller when it's finished so switching them out could be a worthwhile option.