Reef Discussion

E

ezza

im not ginger!
Your facebook profile pic showed quite the ginger tone in your hair. Redheads are cute ;)

But then... Boys are cute... Argh. Need husband to come home :(

As I posted in one of their little threads, how are people supposed to know what's overpriced and what isn't if there is no standard reference? I would love some kind of price guide to exist to make my job easier in buying quality corals and fish.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Your facebook profile pic showed quite the ginger tone in your hair. Redheads are cute ;)

But then... Boys are cute... Argh. Need husband to come home :(

As I posted in one of their little threads, how are people supposed to know what's overpriced and what isn't if there is no standard reference? I would love some kind of price guide to exist to make my job easier in buying quality corals and fish.
You probably couldn't as the prices change quite a bit based on trends and demand/supply.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I think of corals a bit like footy cards, buttons, coins, fossils or anything else that people collect. If you can get it at every LFS or OLFS going, then of course it's not going to be as valuable. If you see a piece you like* that is not available anywhere else, is rare, or is just not seen very often, then it is worth more.

*important because rare doesn't always mean valuable - a one of a kind poo brown scoly is going to be worth fuck all.

Some of the new premium stock available at the likes of UCA, Elite Corals, and others, I haven't seen before (and I look closely, every day pretty much for the last couple of years), and they are stunning. To me that means the price can be whatever the seller wants it to be. If it's too high, people won't buy. If it's high but someone really wants the piece, and they pay it, then good on the seller.

For example ... zoas. Who can point me at a seller, right now, who will sell me a Soprano? A Purple Hornet? Or a My Clementine? Or something equally as stunning and unusual? I know they are out there ... most people that own them wouldn't be interested in the $$s to sell them. So if something like this comes up for sale, I say it is fair game. Someone put a true Soprano zoanthid up for sale and I would probably pay whatever they wanted for it ... and be happy. If I would pay $50 for a polyp, why would the owner charge less, just to make it 'fair'?

Same goes for UCA - sure they have some items that, as someone who does look at these things closely, I believe are way overpriced (some of the morphs in particular). If nobody sees the value, then they will go unsold. Some of the pieces are awesome value - stuff you don't see at the LFS or on Facebook sales. 90% of the shit sold on Facebook is just that, shit - particularly a lot of the specials and auctions.

Anyway, bee out of bonnet ...
we are in agreement - glad that bee is out and flying around. Hopefully it turns into some honey, ooooh yeah

E

ezza

Surely there must be some kind of general guide though.. Like peppermint shrimp $10 good deal, $15 average, $20 pricey? (Just a made up example).

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Surely there must be some kind of general guide though.. Like peppermint shrimp $10 good deal, $15 average, $20 pricey? (Just a made up example).

you sort of get an idea of good prices as you get into the hobby. Prices fluctuate according to supply, demand, weather even. Something that was quite hard to get hold of can become common and something that was common can drop off the market and become rare. But as Chimaera pointed out, "rare" doesn't = "valuable". At the end of the day it comes down to what you think the item is worth and if you can afford it and if it fits into your display/setup. All you can do to work out decent pricing for your own guide is to research online and see what is going for what prices over a wide range of sites over a period of time. You will start to see a trend and you can take advantage or not as you see fit. But if you have a price query about a specific item you are looking at purchasing, most people on here will help you work out if a price is reasonable at the time. :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
True, but it varies for LFS vs OLFS for one (an availability/convenience factor). And as holly says, to find the best deals you need to get a feel for the right price.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
It is really simple. Prices are based on what people are prepared to pay for them. If everyone stops paying $x amount for something it will lower in price.
And hence, where the dilemma really starts:
There's always someone out there with too much money and (possibly) not enough knowledge who will pay some ridiculous amount of money for something that says the word "ultra" that will result in keeping the asking price well beyond the capabilities of the majority of reefers.
Alas we wind up with a paradoxical situation; the theory of the market bringing the price down is fine only if everyone stops paying excessive amounts of money for something a little "rare". Supply and demand kicks in, the price stays high, and another person with deep pockets opens their wallet, ergo, nothing changes except some bright spark gets jack of it and starts a Facebook page and starts bagging sellers in some hope to educate people that some of what they're seeing isn't that good, some is overpriced, and some of it is suffering from some serious artistic license in the photographic department.

chris1987

Sep 16, 2012
newcastle
i do thing these places are over charging and driving prices up. for example if a wholesaler sells a coral to shop for $30 and that shop starts selling them at ridiculous costs the wholesaler is going to think that they can make more on that coral and raise the prices for every one, so what could of been a $100 coral now is a $300 coral

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
there is definitely people out there who have lots of money and not enough knowledge. This also includes LFS. There is a aquarium on here that alot of people rave about that told me that my phosphate of 0.08 was "dangerously low" ha !

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I recon that overpriced fella thinks his gossip girl with is stupid arse sayings.

Hello reefers your one and only source into the scandalous lives of Facebooks coral elite! and who am I? Ill never tell you know you want to stab me xoxo

"Show stopper or should the show be stopped"

Yes my wife watches gg and I have become "interested" in what happens thankfully we only have one more season to go ;)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I recon that overpriced fella thinks his gossip girl with is stupid arse sayings.

Hello reefers your one and only source into the scandalous lives of Facebooks coral elite! and who am I? Ill never tell you know you want to stab me xoxo

"Show stopper or should the show be stopped"

Yes my wife watches gg and I have become "interested" in what happens thankfully we only have one more season to go ;)

......er....that made sense when you typed it, yes? ;) LOL

malau

Oct 13, 2011
didn't read all replies but I believe it also be the same in Sydney property market

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
me neither for about 3 years now. Don't own a tv, just a sweet projector and a fast internet connection :p
i own a tv but it's an old box one and my kids use it to watch dvds and play the wii and my partner uses it to kill zombies on xbox. It doesn't get watched at all. I don't miss it either - I like getting my info from the net and various social groups :)