Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Wiring A Atc-800+
With the 240 power in connection, is it just a regular wall plug/lead connected into the unit?
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it mentioned to put a fuse in the line.
How have people with this unit wired it? The rest of the wiring seems pretty straight forward.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Not overly keen on giving 240v AC advice on a public forum... If I were to wire an atc-800, I would follow a digram like this:
awww.ultimatereef.net_uploader_2012Q2_image001.gif

fordy

Feb 6, 2013
Caroline Springs
Hi guys I'm a sparky and i don't recommend that anyone gives advice on how to wire something having said that the above diagram is correct
I wouldn't like to hear of someone getting injured because they wired something incorrectly.
Please message me if you have trouble

Steve

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Totally agree - get in touch with someone like Steve (or any other sparky) and he could probably wire it up for you for a small fee?

Safety first guys!!!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I think we need to be somewhat self regulating and not give any public advice on such matters. Im not worried about the aquarist (they know they should not be doing it) but his/her family or guest that may one day open the door and have very little fingers that wonder around..

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

I would like to point out two things here that are important.

1) I am happy that the information shared is relevant to the discussion, so people can understand how something should be wired up (for educational purposes).

2) If something actually needs to be wired up and is not low voltage, please get a qualified person to do so. This covers everyone and there is almost no room for error.

Thanks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Is it legal to wire your own plug tops? I always change over my overseas plugs to aussie plugs because I don't like the adaptors everywhere.
Unless you are colour blind I don't see how you can mess that up. I'm not a sparky by the way!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I think insurance wise you might have trouble. I wouldn't think it was illegal though - could be wrong (psssst, cops - he's over there!)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's OK folks, I've got it all sorted out. I'm going to let the wife do the wiring and test it. :D
(P.S. using pre-wired plug tops)

fordy

Feb 6, 2013
Caroline Springs
Hi there guys just wanted to say a few things regarding wiring things yourself.
First of all its not just putting the right wires in the right place there are alot of non approved plug tops out there that are
very substandard also the connections need to be done right.
The original situation wasn't about wiring just a plug top either it is more complex than that.
Insurance is also an issue as Sam said but if you need insurance its to late.
Just wanted to let you know guys thats all, as a sparky i have seen alot of diy that has been an issue and i don't want to see anyone
get hurt
Steve

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
All wired up and working perfectly, not a trace of smoke, smell or flame.
Although it was really funny because the very instant I turned it on for the first time the phone rang!! Scared the poop out of me.