Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Wish List
So it begins.

After lengthy discussions with my Wife on staying in the hobby, we made the decision to up size from our RSM130 to a size that would allow for greater flexibility of inhabitants and greater visual impact. Many a night has been spent looking for inspiration on these forums and so far we have decided that a 4x2x2 format is best and that the tank will be SPS dominant. Other than that, the sky is limit, provided each component is proven and requires no 'customisation' to make it function. Budget is also a secondary concern over functionality and simplicity.

Simplicity is key, as a complicated system will not only will I become the sole one supporting it, my last tank has taught me that real life will always prevail in the end! Based on these requirements here is the shortlist of items on the shopping list, or multiples where I am still debating the pros/cons of the purchase.

Tank:
Red Sea Reefer 350 (Purchased)
  • Originally planned to be a 250, we made the last minute decision to go for the extra spare to allow for a more diverse group of inhabitants.
  • Amazing finish and striking lines compared to the other tanks I have looked at (i.e. Cade) but I haven't seen an ELOS to compare it against.
  • Really simple layout that works. Plus it has adequate space in the cabinet for everything on the below list without any modifications.

Lighting:
Ecotech Radion XR15w Pro x2 with RMS mounts (Preferred)
  • Depending on rockwork, they can be run with TIR lenses if required, may introduce shadows?
  • Reef Link as part of the purchase ( only if MP's are used for circulation)

Skimmer: Can't make my mind up, needs to support stocking and dosing requirements below
Skimz SN143
  • Rated to 900L so perfect size
  • Cheap @$280 considering quality
  • Not a lot of information available or reviews. First gen with a DC motor? Respected Brand
Nyos Quantum 160 (Preferred if I can get decent price)
  • Rated for 1000L so perfect size
  • Expensive! ~$600
  • Seems to have good reviews, respected brand

Return:
Nyos Viper (Purchased as bundle with tank)

Circulation:
MP10ESw (Purchased)
  • Already have one :)
  • To be used with Reef Link (Purchased)
  • Tested with 12mm glass with no issues
  • Can be upgraded to QD models later on if required (Maybe next year)

Dosing: AWC is a definite want, ATO is a bonus. Looking to have capacity to run two-part and vodka, other methods add unwanted complexity. AWC would be 5-10% a week, ATO is refill reservoir to avoid reliance on relatives when on holiday :)

Pacific Sun Kore 5th
  • Respected brand, ability to run 5 channels as well as ATO and AWC with optional DC pumps or run 3 channels and use channel 4 and 5 for AWC.
  • Cheap replacement pumps, easy to use software, mounts and spares readily available.
Kamoer F05X
  • 3 Channel with two steppers for AWC capacity and longevity of motors
  • Appears to be a copy of the Kore 5th?

RODI: Collecting water once month is a pain, as a day is lost by the time we get back home. The plan is to use Red Sea Pro salt and generate all my own RODI, shared with my Brother-in-law down the road.

4 Stage RODI with dual TDS
  • 200LPD
PSIFilters 5 stage with dual TDS
  • 450 LPD
  • Easy/cheap refill of resin vs cartridges

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just one thing to consider with the AWC, how far away is your clean water storage and drain? The pumps on the two you've listed don't look to be monsters at all so id think you'd need to be fairly close to both. If your setup has either or both a fair way from the tank - look into the litermeter. It's not the cheapest option, but the pumps used make the two you listed look like toys :)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Fair point Sam - at this point I am thinking 2x 15L drums in the cabinet, one for Salt and one for waste. Later on, I have the option of putting the drain straight out the wall and use a 25L drum of Salt in the cabinet. Works out about 5% a week,to begin with, then increase to closer to 10% a week later on. Of course, I could always change the container more often if required but I think ~20-30% a month should be heaps. Plus I can still do manual changes once a month or so if required.

I could store Salt in a larger drum directly outside behind the tank but I may be stretching the friendship putting more holes in the wall ;)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Update -

Tank:

Lighting:
Ecotech Radion XR15w Pro x2 with RMS mounts (Purchased)

Skimmer: Couldn't source a cheap Nyos 160
Skimz SN143 (Purchased)

Return: Nyos not available until November..
TBA...

Circulation:
MP10ESw (Purchasedx1, Owned x1)

Dosing: Delayed for a couple months, no longer considering the Kamoer

Pacific Sun Kore 5th
  • Respected brand, ability to run 5 channels as well as ATO and AWC with optional DC pumps or run 3 channels and use channel 4 and 5 for AWC.
  • Cheap replacement pumps, easy to use software, mounts and spares readily available.
GHL Doser 2
  • 4 Channel with steppers
  • really strong reviews and support

RODI:
6 Stage RODI with dual TDS and controller
  • 200LPD
PSIFilters 5 stage with dual TDS
  • 450 LPD
  • Easy/cheap refill of resin vs cartridges
Extras
In tank media reactor
  • For GAC

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok, final equipment update before the whole thing kicks off. All parts are now either in hand or being delivered, so the next step is get it all setup and ready for water.

Tank:

LED Cabinet Lighting (Purchased)

Lighting:
Ecotech Radion XR15w Pro x2 (Purchased)
RMS mount x2 (Purchased)
Ecotech Reef Link (Purchased)

Skimmer: As much as I had my heart set on the Skimz, it seemed a little bit too good to be true, as well as hard to find solid information on longevity and performance. I managed to get a really good deal on a Tunze 9410, really solid reviews for both performance and longevity, but more importantly I got to see one running and it is quiet. I am considering running Carbon in the attached filter bag instead of a small reactor for the moment.
Tunze 9410 (Purchased)

Return: My only on the spot purchase so far, seems a solid pump for the price, reviews suggest it is well built and quiet
Fluval Sea SP2 (Purchased)

Circulation: Slight issue with my existing unit. I got the original unit second hand when I purchased my RSM130, and knew that it a factory MP10ES with a after market RF module to upgrade it to a MP10wES. However when cleaning the unit on the weekend it seems that the RF module is no longer lighting up the 'W' LED on the front, and I am not sure how long this has been the case. As the new unit is a MP10wQD, I am looking into an upgrade from MP10ES to MP10wQD so they are at least paired. I will get a new wetside at the same time.
MP10ES (Owned)
MP10ES to MP10wQD Upgrade - #MP051 (To be Ordered)
MP10wQD (Purchased)

Dosing: Delayed for a couple months, no longer considering the Kamoer
Pacific Sun Kore 5th
GHL Doser 2
  • 4 Channel with steppers
  • really strong reviews and support

RODI: With a bit of luck and bribery, we are now looking to have two IBC's for water storage. My Brother in Law is about 200m from my house so it works perfectly and with him being a plumber and all it seems like the logical place to store our water. Both storage tanks will be configured with automatic shutoffs and the salt tank will have a power head on a timer for circulation. Should be a nice setup once completed.
5 Stage dual RO 1500LPD (Purchased)

Extras:
Sea Chem Coral Dip
Frag Rack
Sea Chem Coral Glue
Aquarium Putty
200w heater x2