Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Wk6 And We Finally Have Algae!
Never been so happy to see algae before since starting this marine adventure. Tank had remained free of visible algae for just over 5 weeks and I was starting to wonder...then I came downstairs earlier this week to see I had few minor patches of diatoms! Hooray! Then a few days later some "nice" hair algae started growing. :)

My 6 snails are doing a pretty good job on the algae/diatoms, but I think I probably need a few more snails. Going to wait another week and see how it goes before adding to the CUC. At this stage in the cycle don't mind that the tank looks a little yuck.

Also cleaned the glass for the first time in almost 6 weeks yesterday. Wouldn't mind if that trend managed to continue into the future!

Other happenings in the last 2 weeks:

* parameters are: 25.0 degrees, ammonia 0, nitrates 2.5ppm, phosphates 0.1. Ammonia has been undetectable for over 3 weeks so I am going to stop testing for it until the time comes to add more friends.

* note on the phosphates level - I have a IM MiniMax reactor running some Rowaphos. It was making this trickling sound since install that was louder than any other sound coming from the tank. Pulled it out about 1.5 weeks ago. Cleaned, replaced Rowa and reinstalled 2 days ago. Trickling sound is now gone :) Will test in another day or two and see whether it has made an impact on the phos levels.

* fuge is starting to develop - Caulerpa is growing, pod population is increasing, found a few tiny snails in there also

* cryptic zone is also starting to show signs of initial change - brought across a couple of tube worms from the old tank (only 3-4 as I didn't want to bring any of the old substrate). They have started making new tubes now in the cryptic zone. Still not sure what effect - good or bad - the zone will have overall, but I confess a desire just to try it to see what other cool critters start congregating in there over time

* Zoas are doing well on zoa rock. Hammer sulked for almost a week in the new tank before finally starting to extend each day. Cushion coral loved the new tank from the get go and is massive. GSP frag wasn't happy until I found the right spot for him. Have my morphs in a plastic container with a few holes in it waiting for them to encrust onto some rock rubble. Most of the 5 have now. Just need to get some super glue gel and figure out where to place them.

* CBS moulted and got his "albeit-smaller-than-normal" big claw back after losing or dropping it during the tank transfer a few weeks ago

* my girls christened my yellow assessor "Sideways Fish" when we got him ages ago due to the fact that he always swam either on his side or upside down. Asked forums about it and the feedback was that this is fairly normal behaviour for assessors. He was/is fat and healthy so stopped worrying about it. Now, after 2 weeks in the new tank, Sideways Fish might soon need a new name - the last 2 days he has started swimming right way up all the time. Got no idea why

* one issue - the remaining fish look healthy, but I am finding it harder to feed them in the new tank. In the old 2ft cube, I would turn off the wavemakers, drop in whatever I was feeding that day and then watch the fun begin. My two clowns would notice the food first, within the first 5-10 sec, and then start smashing it. Shortly after the other three would notice and start eating also. Now, without the clowns (RIP), I turn off the wavemakers, drop the food and then step away from the tank. Most of the time the fish only get 1 pellet each before they sink. None are huge lovers of flake. Mysis fares better. Am currently feeding twice a day instead of once to hopefully make sure they get enough. Any tips of getting the fish to feed like they used to?

If you made it this far through my update, thanks. Will add some pics after I take some tonight.

Jart's 3ft Shallow "Cube" Adventure

E

ezza

They say soaking food in garlic, or adding garlic can help. I am using a pellet that includes garlic- smelly, but the fish like it. They smell it and are attracted to the food.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
They say soaking food in garlic, or adding garlic can help. I am using a pellet that includes garlic- smelly, but the fish like it. They smell it and are attracted to the food.
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a go. I know we like garlic in our food. Didn't know fish might enjoy it too. Wonder if their breath smells afterwards? :p

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Assessor basslets normally swim on their side or upside down. The one I had years ago rarely swam right side up.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Any pics of the cryptic zone?
My sump has pretty low flow and gets fluctuations of sponge, turnicate and tube worm growth. Not sure what changes it.