Reef Discussion

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Wooden fram for hanging leds
I have to build a frame to sit on top of the bracing of the tank to hang the leds I just bought, initially was going to be from coated steel but that would rust. Next idea was for aluminium but I have been thinking of making it from untreated pine for now but not sure if it would leach anything into the tank. Also no idea how long it would last before needing replaced, not that I want to keep it too long.

Any thoughts appreciated.

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
I have to build a frame to sit on top of the bracing of the tank to hang the leds I just bought, initially was going to be from coated steel but that would rust. Next idea was for aluminium but I have been thinking of making it from untreated pine for now but not sure if it would leach anything into the tank. Also no idea how long it would last before needing replaced, not that I want to keep it too long.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bro,if i can suggest you make it out of the connect it stuff they sell at bunnings,even a dumb as dogshit diy'er like me knocked it together.

Just make the frame and clad it on the outside,get a piano hinge and fit a front panel that allows you to swing it upward for acsess.
i could post you pics on how mine looks if you cant grasp the idea.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I built my hood from pine around 10 years ago and it is still like new, although I did paint the inside with a white gloss paint. Even raw pine would last as long as you would want it too - the environment in a hood is not overly harsh so it would not deteriorate to any great extent.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx for the input, the connect it stuff at bunnings is what I was going for originally but closest one doesnt have any and could be a few weeks till I get to the one that does so the wood was a quick option too. Lol and part of it may just be a bit of laziness of course :).

I don't plan on a full hood, just the frame for now but something to look into for later. My first freshwater tanks had hoods and they add a bit more style I think depending on the tank.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'd have to agree with vman, I used the black square tubing from Bunnings to make my the frame that I hang my LEDs from.
Once you cut it, joint it, it's finished. No rust, no painting. It also looks quite professional when it's finished.
Won't the Bunnings near you get it in for you? You may even be able to order it on-line?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
When I went to the local and told them what I ws looking for the look I got was as if I had 2 heads, lol they are nice people but don't ask for anything not on the shelf already.

The bigger one will have what I need and will go check it out when I measure up, they should also cut it to length there so will be even easier.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Thanks for all the input people, much appreciated!
I went for a visit to see culturedreef aka John the MASOV presidents tanks today and was blown away. His corals and fish are awesome in person. A big bonus was that he had the same leds as me and had a spare frame that he gave me so I have them installed now. Will do a pic later today on my TJ, just got visitors.