Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Worm
Is this the back part of my feather duster worm or is something eating it, found it scrumming around the tank
IMG_2210.jpg

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Did you have something that looked like this?

View attachment 53512
yes that is him,i have close look it is the back part of the worm not something eating it, why would he come out of the tube like that and can i do something , had a bad day, when i had top off tank my green spotted dragnet must of jumped out of the tank some how and i found him dead on the floor, he was doing so well doubled in size

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I 'know' very little about these worms, although I have kept them. The only time I've seen one do that is if the tube is too close to the substrate and substrate starts filling the tube, through water movement. Is the other end of his tube (home) tapered to keep the sand out?

You could try gently turning upside down to see if there's any substrate bothering it. I've never had much success keeping these alive for much over 6 months. If it's totally out of it's tube, it may not last long.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
From - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/inverts

Escaping The Tube
Sometimes Sabellastarte spp. leave their tube. This exposes the worm, making it vulnerable to predators. In general it is best not to try to re-insert the worm into its tube. One is more likely to injure it this way, and it is likely that it left the tube for a good reason. Usually they move this way to a better position, in a stronger current. The worm can build a new transparent tube in a matter of hours, and it will coat the tube with sand and detritus over a matter of a few days.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My guess is that it left the tube because it wasn't happy where it was and it is trying to find a better place to live. To leave its tube is a major decision because it is likely to be predated upon when it is unprotected.

Insufficient food would be one of the most likely causes - have you been feeding it? Some type of zooplankton product would be the most suitable food.

How is it doing this morning?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
My guess is that it left the tube because it wasn't happy where it was and it is trying to find a better place to live. To leave its tube is a major decision because it is likely to be predated upon when it is unprotected.

Insufficient food would be one of the most likely causes - have you been feeding it? Some type of zooplankton product would be the most suitable food.

How is it doing this morning?
it is just laying near the tube, i feed marine snow, reef roids, and lobster eggs, is that ok?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is it still alive? I doubt a worm would just stay on the sand (waiting to get eaten) if it was healthy.

Any indication that it has started to built a new tube?

i feed marine snow, reef roids, and lobster eggs, is that ok?
That sounds OK - what was the water flow like around the worm?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Is it still alive? I doubt a worm would just stay on the sand (waiting to get eaten) if it was healthy.

Any indication that it has started to built a new tube?

That sounds OK - what was the water flow like around the worm?
no indication he is building any thing , water flow is average, he has been in that spot for about a year