Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Worn Out Shaft
Brace yourselves....
Over the next couple of weeks the updates from Serenity journal will continue to flow thick and fast.

The first bit of kit to arrive is a new Sicce pump ... I bought the pump to replace the worn out impeller as I've wrung out every last rotation on the calcium reactor pump..... Four years service and rattling away like a west coast rattle snake, finally silenced the beast.

Both impeller drum and shaft worn out.....

Attachments

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Can't beat Italian or German pump, I still have an old Ehiem from the 80s that's on the rock tank still chuggin' along like a trooper. If you replace the impeller on a pump, always replace the shaft as well. Replacing just one can lead to a fast failure a second time.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Can't beat Italian or German pump, I still have an old Ehiem from the 80s that's on the rock tank still chuggin' along like a trooper. If you replace the impeller on a pump, always replace the shaft as well. Replacing just one can lead to a fast failure a second time.
Yap , Sicce Syncra series were a new pump four years ago, the design and guts have not changed...I got mine direct shipped from Italy back then.... With Aussie plugs put on for good measure.
Had to go through the Aus distributer this time and pay double. Oh well..... Now I'm hearing the Maxspects since I can't hear the reactor.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Delivery arrived today... Hope that all the boxes ticked come through correct as there was a bit of electronic stuff up on the invoice.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I usually only get a worn out shaft after a few turns at the Mrs .. but back to aquatic solutions, impellers will fail at some stage, regarldess of german, chinese, US etc, it's a moving part that is on 24/7, it's bound to fail! The quaity of the impellar will determine how long until it fails ...

I've had an eheim fail, 12 months after purchase. I've got a pentair that is still going strong 5 yrs on!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I usually only get a worn out shaft after a few turns at the Mrs .. but back to aquatic solutions, impellers will fail at some stage, regarldess of german, chinese, US etc, it's a moving part that is on 24/7, it's bound to fail! The quaity of the impellar will determine how long until it fails ...

I've had an eheim fail, 12 months after purchase. I've got a pentair that is still going strong 5 yrs on!
Yap - and me skimmer impeller was two months ago also Sicce Syncra.
Ehiem 1260 still churning as the return pump.