Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Wrangy's CADE HL600
Introduction:
So as some may know I was going to be setting up a RSM130D and doing an led upgrade on the tank but due to my own time constraints and being able to actually get one (which I was able to before I needed to, unfortunately). Because of all that's happened I ended up purchasing a CADE HL600 which is the 2ft cube cade with external overflow and sump. I'll be running leds and looking to create as natural as possible reef with a sps dominated focus. The equipment currently listed may change as I'm going down to Reeflections tomorrow to start the big buy up :p

I'd love to add a refugium into the sump so I'll being seeing how I can work it to add even a small one with just some live rock and maybe some macro algae. I'll see how it all goes tomorrow

Reefing Since: Tomorrow when the tank goes wet, been researching and reading about everything and anything marine and reef related for the past year with a special focus in the last 6 months

System Objectives: I'm going to be trying to keep as simple as possible as I don't want to over-complicate it, I'll be doing everything slowly including adding extra equipment if/when needed to make sure I don't go overboard

Type of reef: SPS dominated reef with maybe a few lps and some zoas/mushies/rics

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: Sunday the 14th of July

Display Tank Dimensions: 2ft cube (600x600x550)

Display Lighting: LED's (illumagic blaze most likely)

Stand: Cade cabinet

Hood or Rimless: Rimless

Sump Design: Standard cade sump

Filtration: Live Rock and undecided on the rest at them moment. Something involving carbon, GFO and maybe some Purigen?

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: Return nozzle and 2x Tunze 6045's

Return Pump: Eheim Compact 2000+

Skimmer: Either Deltec or an RLSS R6-i

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator 3155

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: N/A

Alkilinity Addition: N/A

Magnesium Addition: N/A

Prodibiotics Addition: N/A

Coral Food Addition: N/A

I am truly a lover of all thing aquatic and so I will be going full live rock and trying to keep as many critters as possible and build my system from the base up in terms of its biology :) Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I will need some in the future :) Feel free to ask me any questions too, I'm happy to do whatever I can to help out :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MTG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Finally got the tank!!! :D :D :D

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_13223154_zpsc954ab18.jpg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_13213815_zpsed3441ad.jpg

Only problem is the double overflow pipe is too long and doesn't fit into the sump so I'll have to cut it down, unless I'm doing something wrong. Which is what I hope lol

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It has WAATTEERR!!!! :D

Went down to @Reeflections Aquarium and bought all the gear. Tank is nearly complete with everything. So here's the equipment list :) (I'll also be updating my first post with all this gear)
The only parts I don't have are the skimmer, lights and ATO. I've paid for the skimmer and that's coming in soon and then the osmolator and lights are in on Thursday so there will be a few new buys to come yet. I'm looking Maxspect Razor led lights (Ernie's recommendation) or the illumagic blaze leds for the tank :)

Skimmer: Deltec SC1355
Lighting: Not sure yet going back on Thursday
Heater: Sera 300W
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 2000+
Powerheads: 2x Tunze 6045
Rock: 20kg live rock (looks awesome)
ATO: Tunze Osmolator Universal

Misc equipment: Refractometer (Vertex), API test kits (Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH for the moment)

Pics are a little crappy as I used my phone again lol
Water, water and more water!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14174217_zps4a8c948a.jpg

Halfway :D
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14174231_zps2425a611.jpg

Now for some rock: (with flash)
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14192546_zps5f8dd38d.jpg

Without flash:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14192554_zps217baecc.jpg

Perspective on where the tank sits, looking on from the hallway that the front door leads into (excuse the big ceramic ball on a towel, it was there while I was sorting out the location of the tank):
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14194359_zps01eb4b95.jpg

Closer shot on location:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14194338_zpsf7ebc85d.jpg

Really really dodgey front tank shot:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_14194517_zps68f5b696.jpg

So far this would have to be the best update on my thread as I finally have my tank with everything (nearly LOL) in it and it's up and running (almost LOL again :p). All that's left to do is pick up a few items and then fix the overflow pipes as they are too long and don't fit into the entrance into the sump but I'll be cutting them down and adding all of the to the tank and sump tomorrow including the return pump :D :D can't wait for everything to get in and setup!!!!!! I'm going to get some filter floss in tomorrow once the sump is online and the sand will be going in once the floss is online :D so busy busy busy

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Water is coming along, went a little crappy over the last few days due to some die off but I've added some carbon to the tank and that's starting to clear things while I wait for my skimmer to get in :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Updated the equipment list and a pic of the tank now that the water is clearing up :)

You'll have to excuse the flash as the tank doesn't have any lights at the moment and the ambient light isn't the brightest so to get a decent pic I have to use flash lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_2013_07_18223505_zps0f1ed614.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I REALLY like the bottom half of the scape! But I think you will find the top half is not too useful for coral attachment etc. You could get a similar effect with coral growth ... I would put those pieces in the sump and leave more space on that top platform.

Looks good though, keep the pics coming as it progresses!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I REALLY like the bottom half of the scape! But I think you will find the top half is not too useful for coral attachment etc. You could get a similar effect with coral growth ... I would put those pieces in the sump and leave more space on that top platform.

Looks good though, keep the pics coming as it progresses!
Thanks mate! :) Yeah I'm still not quite sure about the top, I mainly just placed them there as the sump isn't filled yet and I'm not sure what to do with them but I'm quite happy with how the bottom half is looking. Not sure if I want to build the back left corner up fractionally more but I'll come to that once I have lights and a sump :) It's still a work in progress but I'm really pleased so far and I'm super excited to really get into this hobby :D

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Thanks mate! :) Yeah I'm still not quite sure about the top, I mainly just placed them there as the sump isn't filled yet and I'm not sure what to do with them but I'm quite happy with how the bottom half is looking. Not sure if I want to build the back left corner up fractionally more but I'll come to that once I have lights and a sump :) It's still a work in progress but I'm really pleased so far and I'm super excited to really get into this hobby :D
I agree, get some nice acros growing and you will have the same affect..... In time.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I agree, get some nice acros growing and you will have the same affect..... In time.
I'll definitely be getting acros! :D I am in love with all things sps, so that's what I'm building my tank towards :) The two acro bits in the tank will be going into the sump and once the lights and background (maybe) are up I'll decide if I get some more rock and build it up a little more.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Some of the best scapes I have seen are open with corals growing into the space. I am working towards this in my tank but as I have no sump it is difficult to archive.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I agree, I do love a bit of negative space. That's why I'm going to wait and see how I feel about it :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Quick update :)

Cycle is coming along nicely, ammonia has spiked and is on the decline now and nitrite and nitrate are both on the rise at the moment and I've fixed the overflow piping so I can now add the sump once the glue dries!
Hopefully I'll have a skimmer (RLSS R6-i due to availability but a grouse looking skimmer!) and a Tunze Osmolator tomorrow to add with getting the sump up and running :D
I'll most likely be getting lights next week once my pay goes through, don't want the bank account looking too barren :p haha Illumagic Blaze thanks to @MTG convincing efforts lol and how amazing his tank looks under them!