Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
my positioning of the wavemakers are on the back top panel (left and right) to surface agitate.

ai65.tinypic.com_5dts75.jpg

do you think this can be done better?

in my LFS, they put another one at the back bottom panel (left and right), but he keeps SPS.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
thats a lot of movement for a small tank.

might make a mess of the sand?

as with sam, one of the smaller units on one side will be plenty of movement.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Why don't you place the two tunze lower on the back wall and direct the flow upwards to agitate the surface?

I do this with atleast one of my pumps. I've placed most of my corals that require high flow up high in the tank and so they get high flow from my pumps.

It also helps to break up any scum you've got on the surface.

It also means less disturbance with the substrate, but you still get good flow near the substrate.

Also, if you are agitating the surface to increase oxygenation, I think you can rely on your skimmer for that.

Last edited:

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
I have ordered a Gyre 130 for my HL600, so I hope it will work. It's supposed to arrive this week so I'll let you know how it goes.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I have ordered a Gyre 130 for my HL600, so I hope it will work. It's supposed to arrive this week so I'll let you know how it goes.
@Tom H looking forward to hear your feedback.

Are you planning to mount it on the back panel? it would be vertical mount, I would assume and only on 1 side (either left or right).

Not sure how effective it would be on the other side (non mounted side).

Vortech MP10WQD would be a good choice on the side.
Hmmm .. tempting ... Flow rate is higher than my Jebao RW4 ...

6,000+ lph vs 4,000 lph.

Why don't you place the two tunze lower on the back wall and direct the flow upwards to agitate the surface?
Yup that is another solution.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Are you planning to mount it on the back panel? it would be vertical mount, I would assume and only on 1 side (either left or right).
Vertical, LHS of back overflow panel is the plan. I will try both sides to see which works best with my rockscape.

E

ezza

Such a pretty tank! I can imagine a bare bottom SPS system like @xixau with a gyre. That would be fantastic.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
@@Tom H am pretty sure yours are with sand yeah?
2mm crushed coral substrate, about 2cm deep. I don't think the Gyre will stir it up, but if it does cause problems I'll look at a bare bottom or heavier substrate. I'm pretty keen to make the Gyre work in my tank, it has great reviews and should give me really good flow.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I'll make a short video of it installed in my tank on Thursday or Friday and I'll post it in my journal.