Tank Journal Archive

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Xxx Pics Of Clown's :cool: And An Id
Hey Guys,

Clown's were at it again (must be something in the water). Thought I would put a few pics up. Luckily they do it on the front glass of the tank hence the coraline algae build up in that corner. I was going to take a video but that camera ran out of batteries.

I have also put a pic up for an idea. I have been told in the past they may be Manjano but not convinced. 1 they don't spread very fast and 2 they don't seem to bother other tank inhabitants. They have even grown on the bases of soft coral's and not bothered them. Any help would be great

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7134.JPG

All of the fish try and have a meal when this happens and untill they hatch
IMG_7128.JPG

Now for the ID

IMG_7159.JPG

IMG_7114.JPG

IMG_7112.JPG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nice photo's of the clowns :)

I would agree with the majano anemone ID - not all people consider that these are a pest. I have never had any so can't really offer an opinion one way or another.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Nice photo's of the clowns :)

I would agree with the majano anemone ID - not all people consider that these are a pest. I have never had any so can't really offer an opinion one way or another.

I always read that Majano sting everything??? I will probably leave the few that I have in there. I even thought about letting them populate my over flow to help capture any un eaten food (Thats were the first pick is )

Thought about putting a tile were the clowns spawn and to try and raise the fry but means id have to find more time to do that when i already don't have enough haha.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Great pics! The anemones are probably an Actinidus sp. I have one that has never reproduced & is 15-20cm in diameter now that looks identical to your top pic. so there are different kinds. Just keep an eye on them & see if anything dies off around them. Even then you could remove them and let them rreattach to their own rock which sits separate on the sand so they can't wander.

@Dr. Schell

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Look to be Anemonea cf. majano. As stated above, keep an eye on them. In some systems they will take over, yet in others, they rarely multiply. A very beautiful species that superficially appears like a miniature bubble tip anemone.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
BTW, if you need cultures of live phyto and rotifers to raise your clowns, let me know.

You guys have convinced me that they are Manjano. I will keep an eye on them. As I said they are not harming anything yet so will see what happens.

But you guys are also swinging me around to give raising the clown fish fry a go. I will have to think on it and if we do another LFS crawl @Dr. Schell I may take you up on the offer and if I have any of the toad stool frags then Il trade you or I am sure I can find something else in the tank if I don't