Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Yellow Eye Kole Misbehaving
I've been sadly watching my Yellow Eye Kole happily going to town on one of my favourite SPS corals today.
He's managed to get through most of it today and picked it clean. So much for reef safe!!!!

IMG_0199.JPG

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
This is the down side of bristletooth tangs an low nutrient systems. When they don't have anything to rasp off the rocks, they'll go for corals, I've seen it more times than I care to think about Dave. :(

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It looks like you might have a difficult choice to make :rolleyes

That wouldn't be a hard choice for me, I only trust Zebrasoma and Acanthurus tangs in a reef tank. Been doing this too damn long, I've seen Kole and Tomini tangs eat corals, you have been warned! Same with clown gobies, if you have Acros stay away from those too. They'll kill a patch to lay eggs and more often than not it starts tissue recession.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Well he made quick work of that piece. Hasn't touched anything else so far.
Don't know whether to replace that piece in case he starts thinking that's a feeding spot!!!!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
The little sweet bristletooth Lavender Tang I used to have never touched a coral, but it did eat a bristle star that had a pentagon body about the size of a ten cent piece. It ate all the legs and all I found was the body part, but only half was there.

At the time the briste star was a bit of a favourite and I would never have thought the bristle star was at risk.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The bottom line of reef keeping is anything can eat anything if it's hungry. I have never had an issue keeping large angels in a reef tank and I catch hell for it all the time. If you keep them fed and engaged, they are model citizens. Cut off their food and they'll sample your corals like a fat man at an all-u-can-eat buffet. I have have a damn Lamarcks angel right now that's about to find himself in the time out tank for eating the plumes off my feather duster rock, miserable little shit. They're supposed to be 100% reef safe WTF ever that is.

We're still on a VERY STEEP learning curve when it comes to marine nutrition requirements.