Reef Discussion

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Your Preferred Test Kit?
Hi All,

I just wanted to ask you about your preferred test kits - please chime in.

The only Hanna Checker that I will end up with is Phos, but at the moment I'm using a RedSea kit for that and I am happy with the system until the regents run out.

Here's where I'm at, at the moment:
  • The Salifert boxes aren't the best long term (being cardboard) but their reviews have always been great and they are well priced.
  • The RedSea box is much better, their vials are glass (Which I prefer) but people complain about using them - Are they really THAT much more difficult than the Salifert Kits to use? I have no issues testing for Phos with the RedSea, but are the other tests (Cal, Mag & Alk) more difficult?
If the Salifert really are just THAT much better and easier, then I will go that way, but I'm still swinging to the RedSea until otherwise convinced that Salifert (with a customer box to store) is the go.

Appreciate any personal opinions as long as they are your own personal experience with them (and not something you read somewhere, I've done a LOT of reading LOL)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Used elos , redsea & had Hanna cal & alk. Sailifert sll the way for everything except still use Hanna phos. Well priced, great colour change. Easy to use.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I used to have all Red sea test kits but have switched to Saliferts (not including Hanna for Alk & po4)
Only thing I use Red sea for now is Iron.
P.S Test potassium on Red sea takes 25mins for one test . It takes 3 mins on Salifert

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Thanks all, you have convinced me to go the "Salifert Way" for the bulk of the test kits.

I will get a little plastic box to keep them all tidy-like.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I use Hanna and Salifert - if you can, I would get a Hanna Alk tester as they are very easy to use.

So, for me, Hanna for Phos and Alk, and Salifert for the rest. I do have a Hanna Calcium egg but it is too hard to use so I don't use it very often.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Elos Phosphate test kits were mentioned at MACNA 2014 because they give you a more specific phosphate reading at lower levels than other test kits

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I have been down the rabbit hole of comparing Salifert and Red Sea and Hanna, a couple of times now over the years.
It's not a fun game to play.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've actually got the Hanna Phosphate and the Hanna Phosphorus eggs.
Apparently measuring the phosphorus and then using the formula to work out the phosphate is more accurate reading.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I've actually got the Hanna Phosphate and the Hanna Phosphorus eggs.
Apparently measuring the phosphorus and then using the formula to work out the phosphate is more accurate reading.
Yeah I would like a phosphorous egg at some point. Good to know they are good for Alk too.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
My Salifert stuff is on it's way, but I just wanted to check the sizes of the boxes they come in and the test vials (as I'm going to get one plastic storage container for the lot - it doesn't have to fit the boxes in it, I just wanted to make sure I got a high enough container so I can stand the vials up, instead of laying them down.)

Anyone got a ruler handy? Thanks! :-D