Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Yt - Crisp Seaweed?
I had a seaweed which now have been opened from its packaging for approx. 2 - 3 weeks now.

Recently the seaweed has turn soggy (hmmm ... soggy is extreme word to use ... hmmmphhh not as crisp, put it that way).

On first week (when it was still crisp), YT went nipping almost immediately.

When it went not as crisp, YT didn't look like it even touched the seaweed.

YT still went crazy for Hikari Seaweed extreme though (maybe because it was inside resealable container hence the smells & freshness are still contained).

Is this the behavior of YT (or any other Tang/Surgeon) towards "no so fresh / not so crisp" seaweed?

I will get another packet of seaweed today and will put it onto takeaway container to seal its smells and freshness and hope YT will start nipping at it again.

If YT has lost its appetite, then it would chase up Hikari pellets ... so i would assume (and hope) that possibility is out.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Aaaah not sure if it adds any difference, the seaweed is locked onto veggie clip.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I've never had it go soggy or damp, I would throw it out just in case its spoiled. Keep the dessication sachet with it and that will help it keep.
Hmmm not damp nor soggy ... it's not as crisp, that's all .. i'm sure it's not off.

but i will do anything for my YT ... i will get another set of seaweed :D

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
interesting. My guys go nuts for the stuff that was trapped in the clip for 24hours. Stinks like crap, but they think its awesome

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
i have not had issues, there has been a couple of times when i have forgotten to seal properly and the nori has gone uuuuummmm flexible? i dont know how to describe it, but the fish still smash it.

@Sam Parker my paypal is nearly set up mate

E

ezza

You could always try drying the nori in the oven. You would want to have the temperature on low (120-150). Put it on a baking tray in single sheets and gently bake for 15-30 minutes maybe? I don't know that it will work, but if the issue is moisture then baking to remove the moisture seems possible.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
You could always try drying the nori in the oven. You would want to have the temperature on low (120-150). Put it on a baking tray in single sheets and gently bake for 15-30 minutes maybe? I don't know that it will work, but if the issue is moisture then baking to remove the moisture seems possible.
Thanks @ezza I've taken the expensive way .. bought a new Obento Yaki Nori for $3 from Woolies ... last one I bought for $1 from Chinese shop.

YT has been eating again.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm with your Yellow Tang, I wouldn't eat that shit either! :p I tried the toasted stuff and, yea, no. It tasted like old fish to me.

E

ezza

Thanks @ezza I've taken the expensive way .. bought a new Obento Yaki Nori for $3 from Woolies ... last one I bought for $1 from Chinese shop.

YT has been eating again.
That's all I buy. I paid about $16 for Julian Sprung's Tiny Overpriced Bag of Weed and realised I could keep fish alive equally well with the other nori. Now, it's just a case of ensuring I buy an extra bag so the child and dog can share with the fish!