Reef Discussion

zeovitinfo

Sep 29, 2011
Zeo Element fine tuning
Gidday Y'all, I've just joined up,,and what a great site,really slick and funky too,excellent:D
I've had the reefkeeping madness some 13 years now,and have used the zeovit system for the last 8 years.I read norks thread and thats a great summary,he nailed it really well.
Back in those days there wasnt much info or support around for fine tune dosing of the zeo range,and some of the products back then were hard core concentrated,since fine tuned and improved.Good old germans,they make good stuff.
Anyway the upshot is,i've made all the classic stuff ups in the early days and as a result,learnt thru osmosis a bit about fine tuning the system to get optimum results..
Happy to help share what i've learnt and stuffed up so others dont have to

With that in mind,here's a general overview to zeovit element dosing..i hope there might be the odd useful observation in there,chur westy

For those that havent seen it here's a link to a post with a good review of zeolite based systems
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content ... emystified
Its a good opportunity to review some best practice and fine tuning points for success with Zeovit.

The article is very good,and the author makes some good points and provides some valid cautions.
The first and most important one is not being in a hurry and overdosing.

Those that run Zeovit,will no doubt recall my somewhat ardent suggestions to maintain a conservative approach and adjustment of the labelled dosing suggestions.
There is a very good reason for this,the first being that Korallen Zucht products are pure and concentrated.The labelled dosages are for a medium stocked predominantly hard coral tank,and as such a full dose as per label may well be excessive or waistful.

Starting out,generally folk arent fully stocked,so this is why on taking up the zeovit system its recommended to adjust the dosages to suit the stock levels and nutrient state in the tank.This means a gentle conservative transition,zero coral shock,no rapid parameter changes,and sets you up nicely for success.

An important factor in that article is the great list of basic husbandry details that should be in place,lighting,skimming,water changes of the correct amounts,and a water source that is clean, etc.(tap water is not great for reef tanks)This is all considered basic survival gear for keeping corals these days,and unless this is in place,dont expect results

My whole philosophy on dosing 'elements' with the Zeovit system having used it some time now,is replenishment.We are replacing missing or lacking vitamins and minerals that have been utilised by the corals,thats it!
Essential to maintaining a natural healthy reef,the entire principle of zeovit is to emulate that natural reef environment in a closed loop Aquarium,and it creates a balanced tank.
The zeovit grows beneficial bacteria,we pump the zeovit,it sheds the mulm,this is food for our corals,and reduces nitrate/phoshate at the same time,working in balance,hence its a system:)not merely a band aid like rowaphos or similar absorption media

Many salt mixes may not have the required element levels to provide the constant renewal that a sweeping current on a thriving reef would bring,so small additions of elements here maintain the tank at natural reef levels.

Dose to suit the stock levels,adding only what you determine the corals will use,often an initial decent hit with a new element isnt a bad idea,as this may have been lacking,leave it a couple of days and monitor your tank for changes.(All zeovit products affect corals with a delayed reaction,no instant gratification here)spur2 possible exception;)

Although the label says dose daily,think to how your stock levels are,and consider how much you are adding and whether there has been a change, Lets say yes.illustrating that a particular coral likes that element,and has responded by turning a purple colour for example.Oh goody.

Wait! as you've proven its all good.Corals can only absorb limited amounts at one time.Remember these bottles contain concentrated elements,pouring it in now will be waistful,and unless this excess gets skimmed out it will eventually breakdown and become algae of some sort on your rocks and glass.

Ok,Lets say your prize millepora likes a touch of potassium iodine flouride(PIF),sweet,be aware not all corals will be affected by that element,but ask around,read the forum,and there's likely one that will provide beneficial effects,mind you some corals are just brown:)

Zeovit is progressive,the basic 4 will provide the environment that enables corals to thrive,but our aim here is healthy growth AND brilliant colour.You will see some colour,often damn good using the basic four alone,but unless you move past phase one,and begin to supplement the water changes with the elements that target colours(.This is phase two)your corals wont be showtank stunning.

The phase two elements recommended include ,coral vitalizer,aminoacids,sponge power,these are the first ones you need to be utilising when all your nitrate/phosphate levels have become low,doesnt have to be zero,but low:) this applies to any tank that has consistent low nutrient levels,you dont need to run the whole zeo system to enjoy the benefits the elements bring to your corals.heaps do just this to bring out their colours.

All the best,I hope this has been helpful,any questions email me,ta westy
info@zeovit.co.nz
http://www.zeovit.co.nz/index.php

Westy's Tank,(no photoshop required )

ahomepages.slingshot.co.nz__7Ewesty1_index.html_3nov09_200041.jpg

ahomepages.slingshot.co.nz__7Ewesty1_index.html_3nov09_200051.jpg

ahomepages.slingshot.co.nz__westy1_index.html_3nov09_200061.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Thanks for the post!! I'm sure it will help a lot of people get their head around prodibiotics , that coral mag is an excellent source of info.

Out of interest.whatzeovit setup would you recommend for Lps?

zeovitinfo

Sep 29, 2011
Thanks for the post!! I'm sure it will help a lot of people get their head around prodibiotics , that coral mag is an excellent source of info.

Out of interest.whatzeovit setup would you recommend for Lps?
Cheers Guys,This is a sweet site,whoever set it up did a great job:)

MG,For LPS combine 'LPS amino acids' and 'coral snow'.
Soak Your dose of LPS aminos in a half capful of coral snow for ten minutes and dose after lights out when they normally have polyps extended to feed.(skimmer off 20 mins for best effect)
The coral snow particles are the right size medium for uptake for sps and lps polyps,so they'll get a red bull fix direct to target.
After a short while,they learn,and if dosed about the same time regularly,the lps will be waiting, super extending to feed,freaky..
Two to three times a week is ample.
Hint of iodide and iron concentrate occasionally helps keep the colours bright also.
chur westy.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Cheers Guys,This is a sweet site,whoever set it up did a great job:)

MG,For LPS combine 'LPS amino acids' and 'coral snow'.
Soak Your dose of LPS aminos in a half capful of coral snow for ten minutes and dose after lights out when they normally have polyps extended to feed.(skimmer off 20 mins for best effect)
The coral snow particles are the right size medium for uptake for sps and lps polyps,so they'll get a red bull fix direct to target.
After a short while,they learn,and if dosed about the same time regularly,the lps will be waiting, super extending to feed,freaky..
Two to three times a week is ample.
Hint of iodide and iron concentrate occasionally helps keep the colours bright also.
chur westy.
ill definitely have to get my hands on some. cheers for that, !