Reef Discussion

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
I think sponge power has to be refrigerated, this makes it a bit more tricky to auto dose.
Im shaking my stones in the morning before work and then once before bed.
I don't shake them early in the evening because it makes the tank cloudy for the rest of the night when I'm looking at the tank.
Thanks Luke :) I didn't actually realise SpongePower needs to be refrigerated?! I don't believe it states anything about it on the bottle I have, I will need to double check tonight.....

Sweet.. I've been setting the Vibe to shake in the morning and at night when the moon lights come on :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Luke :) I didn't actually realise SpongePower needs to be refrigerated?! I don't believe it states anything about it on the bottle I have, I will need to double check tonight.....

Sweet.. I've been setting the Vibe to shake in the morning and at night when the moon lights come on :)
I'm happy to be corrected but the last time I checked, everything except start needed to be refrigerated.
At least it's not too bad using the eye dropper.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
only supps that need regrigeration are the bacteria like bak and biomate and coral vitaliser
Do you think things like sponge power would be ok being auto dosed where temps are usually 25-30 degrees under the tank? This would be great if I could.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
how often do you dose it? you may find you get better results double dosing it less frequently

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
I'm happy to be corrected but the last time I checked, everything except start needed to be refrigerated.
At least it's not too bad using the eye dropper.
only supps that need regrigeration are the bacteria like bak and biomate and coral vitaliser
On my bottles of Zeobak and SpongePower they both mention nothing about refrigeration. I just checked on the Zeovit forum, apparently refrigeration is not needed anymore on Zeobak with a date of 12/2007 or newer..... But, it needs to be kept in a cool place ranging from 4 - 25 degrees Celsius...

Starting to believe auto-dosing spongepower may be possible..... Dropper is super easy, but automating it will make things more percise and eliminate the issue of me not being home or forgetting lol.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
On my bottles of Zeobak and SpongePower they both mention nothing about refrigeration. I just checked on the Zeovit forum, apparently refrigeration is not needed anymore on Zeobak with a date of 12/2007 or newer..... But, it needs to be kept in a cool place ranging from 4 - 25 degrees Celsius...

Starting to believe auto-dosing spongepower may be possible..... Dropper is super easy, but automating it will make things more percise and eliminate the issue of me not being home or forgetting lol.
so in Australia it needs refrigeration...

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
your gonna get better results dosing 6 drops 3 times weekly or 9 drops twice weekly
Thanks for the advice mate, I'm thinking to finish off the cycle then change it to 6 drops 3 times a week - This makes auto-dosing not so important for Spongepower anymore :) thanks again!

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
ive left my bak out overnight one summer and man it stunk when i opened it. :(
That sucks! Mine does have a bit of an odd smell to it, even though I have been refrigerating it. Here's hoping it was refrigerated at the LFS lol

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have a spare channel on my dosing pump. Out of Start and b-balance, would one be better than the other to have the dosage spread over a day?
I am currently dosing them both once per day manually.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I have a spare channel on my dosing pump. Out of Start and b-balance, would one be better than the other to have the dosage spread over a day?
I am currently dosing them both once per day manually.
B-bal would be less mucking around but you could automate the two doses of start for less work, other than that it doesn't matter much lol

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks @Grimz I used to auto dose it a while back but didn't top it up again.
All I do is boil some rodi, let it cool and then add 266ml to a glass jar, then I add 70ml of start which gives me a total of 336ml.
I dose 8ml of this per day which lasts me 6 weeks (the same amount of time before I change the stones)