Reef Discussion

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Zero Nitrates ...
I was going to put this in my journal but having seen some interesting discussion on FB I thought I would put it here.

My problem is zero nitrates. Or at least undetectable on my Salifert test. I can see the signs ... My Acans, scoly and hammers are all looking below par.

For reference, my phosphate is 0.13 so a little high.

Question is - how do I get my nitrates up? Over feed?

From what I have read, 5 seems to be a good level?

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
One way is to add potassium nitrate (KNO3). As a bit of an experiment I made up a stock solution of 100g/L with RO water and as close as 10ml of stock solution adds 1ppm to my tank - 550Lish. I haven't really played with it much but was planning on adding some nitrate to help drop phosphates (running bio pellets) as well as see the effect on SPS colours but at the moment I am battling some cyano and dont want to fuel the fire so haven't added any.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Some amino acids contain small amounts of nitrates.
If my chemistry is right you won't be able to get your P04 down without having some nitrates in your system.
You could also hold with WC until you get to your desired levels.

Mar 1, 2014
I
I was going to put this in my journal but having seen some interesting discussion on FB I thought I would put it here.

My problem is zero nitrates. Or at least undetectable on my Salifert test. I can see the signs ... My Acans, scoly and hammers are all looking below par.

For reference, my phosphate is 0.13 so a little high.

Question is - how do I get my nitrates up? Over feed?

From what I have read, 5 seems to be a good level?
im the same. My nitrates are undetectable and phos is a little high.
Mine have always been that way since the 5th month and it's now a year old.
I over feed already.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Corals can indeed take up part their nitrogen needs via amino's, I also add potassium nitrate to boost levels to where i want them.

Since i have used carbon dosing 4-5 years on 4 main systems have always had better results whist adding extra nitrogen to the tanks to balance the ratio more.

Extra feeding adds extra PO4, you just seem to be chasing your tail all the time only adding amino's food ect.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
One way is to add potassium nitrate (KNO3). As a bit of an experiment I made up a stock solution of 100g/L with RO water and as close as 10ml of stock solution adds 1ppm to my tank - 550Lish. I haven't really played with it much but was planning on adding some nitrate to help drop phosphates (running bio pellets) as well as see the effect on SPS colours but at the moment I am battling some cyano and dont want to fuel the fire so haven't added any.
Corals can indeed take up part their nitrogen needs via amino's, I also add potassium nitrate to boost levels to where i want them.

Since i have used carbon dosing 4-5 years on 4 main systems have always had better results whist adding extra nitrogen to the tanks to balance the ratio more.

Extra feeding adds extra PO4, you just seem to be chasing your tail all the time only adding amino's food ect.
Interesting stuff, thanks guys. Where would I get suitable potassium nitrate?

Some amino acids contain small amounts of nitrates.
If my chemistry is right you won't be able to get your P04 down without having some nitrates in your system.
You could also hold with WC until you get to your desired levels.
Hmm I'll try some aminos for now, see if it helps. I'd really like to get my nitrates and phosphates in balance!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Can you run your skimmer for 12 hours instead of 24 and see if that helps?

What filtration methods are you using for the phos?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
i got mine off ebay
I got the stuff from auschems this week. Either of you any advice on dosing? I just made up a bottle according to these instructions - basically 1/4 teaspoon of kno3 to 430ml of water to give you a solution where 1ml will increase 1 gallon of water by 1ppm.

Given my display is 40gallons and the sump probably 20, I need to dose 60ml to increase nitrates from 0.2-0.5ppm by 1ppm. Question is do I dose it all at once, 1ml at a time? I just added 20ml to see what it does.

For record purposes, my phosphates are now 0.7, and my lps (euphyllia, acans) and rics/morphs all look terrible. Think I about to lose one of my favourite chalices, a hammer and a ric I have had for 3 years looks like it's about to detach. I'm trying to feed more heavily as I figured even increased phosphates at this stage would be better than I have.

Also for the record, my turbarina looks amazing and my zoas pretty decent. The one lps that looks fine is the cynarina, and the clam is doing well.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I would only dose for 40g , if you remove the rock in your tank then add your sump you would be approximately be back at 40g ....I assume????

P.S Last week I added GFO just in a sock in my sump as my Po4 was also at .13 yesterday I removed the sock and added a new Bach into a reactor , today I tested it and its now at .03.

Also are you using red sea to test Nitrates , hearing whispers that red sea are not the best to test for Nitrates. I am trying to get my hands on salifert test kit..

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Yes chalice don't like 0 nitrate one little bit.

What is a gallon :p

I don't use the red sea for nitrate as a rule but when i have in the past the red sea pro has been very accurate for ultra low range NO3 compared to my photometer.

I can get away with 0 nitrate so long as it is added in the ratio its consumed at with the PO4. (EDIT and presumably by the corals)

For your reference I add 750ml of vinegar (in the form off acetate complex of dissolved coral skeletal) twice per day in 2 of my systems and 600ml in twice a day the other two. At the same time i add 10ml of KNO3 mixed at 100 grams / ltr to each system.

Adding at this rate of 20ml per day NO3 to all my systems NO3 can still read as low as 0.002 in one of my systems on the photometer though the corals don't show the symptoms of low NO3. Two other systems test around 0.035 and one around 0.070.

I would take it easy at first, I think a different type of bacteria must come into play as more nitrate becomes available. Adding a bunch at once will just brown out the corals and mabee start a bacteria bloom. Start with a small dose and slowly increase over the following weeks to months whilst carefully watching the corals and testing NO3 and PO4.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I would only dose for 40g , if you remove the rock in your tank then add your sump you would be approximately be back at 40g ....I assume????

P.S Last week I added GFO just in a sock in my sump as my Po4 was also at .13 yesterday I removed the sock and added a new Bach into a reactor , today I tested it and its now at .03.

Also are you using red sea to test Nitrates , hearing whispers that red sea are not the best to test for Nitrates. I am trying to get my hands on salifert test kit..
Yes chalice don't like 0 nitrate one little bit.

What is a gallon :p

I don't use the red sea for nitrate as a rule but when i have in the past the red sea pro has been very accurate for ultra low range NO3 compared to my photometer.

I can get away with 0 nitrate so long as it is added in the ratio its consumed at with the PO4. (EDIT and presumably by the corals)

For your reference I add 750ml of vinegar (in the form off acetate complex of dissolved coral skeletal) twice per day in 2 of my systems and 600ml in twice a day the other two. At the same time i add 10ml of KNO3 mixed at 100 grams / ltr to each system.

Adding at this rate of 20ml per day NO3 to all my systems NO3 can still read as low as 0.002 in one of my systems on the photometer though the corals don't show the symptoms of low NO3. Two other systems test around 0.035 and one around 0.070.

I would take it easy at first, I think a different type of bacteria must come into play as more nitrate becomes available. Adding a bunch at once will just brown out the corals and mabee start a bacteria bloom. Start with a small dose and slowly increase over the following weeks to months whilst carefully watching the corals and testing NO3 and PO4.
Thanks both. Yep taking it slowly, I'll add another 20ml again tomorrow morning then test towards the end of the day to see how it is sitting. I'm using a Salifert test already - it was previously undetectable but today I saw a hint of colour so figure nitrate is at the 0.2-0.5 level.

I've compleltly shut off the bio pellet reactor. Despite starting with well below the recommended amount of pellets, I had been removing media to slow down any impact but it wasn't so it's off. Anyone advise whether I can just leave the pellets in there with no flow until levels are sorted? Or should I remove and aim to start again one day?

Skimmer has remained on, presumably why phosphates have still dropped.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Just turning off the reactor will probably lead to bacteria die off and hydrogen sulfide so would not just turn it back on. Don't know if you can dry out the pellets and re use?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Just turning off the reactor will probably lead to bacteria die off and hydrogen sulfide so would not just turn it back on. Don't know if you can dry out the pellets and re use?
Yep, they go black in a reactor that is turned off. They are pretty cheap so you'd be better off just re-starting. Were you using a recirculating reactor?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yep, they go black in a reactor that is turned off. They are pretty cheap so you'd be better off just re-starting. Were you using a recirculating reactor?
Yeah a recirculating jns.

I'd ultimately rather have the biopellets running so hopefully I can get it the right ratio so that can run and keep everything nicely in balance.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yeah a recirculating jns.

I'd ultimately rather have the biopellets running so hopefully I can get it the right ratio so that can run and keep everything nicely in balance.
yeah, I f'ed up mine when I added biopellets and GFO I think. Those reactors are so sexy.