Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Zero, Zero Or Not?
I'm wondering how many out there either do, try to, or don't worry that much on running their tanks at zero phosphates and zero nitrates.
My previous Cade never ran zero/zero and I considered it to be quite healthy.
My current tank is running zero/zero at the moment and I'm wondering if maybe it's too clean??
I've found some corals that I had in the Cade aren't doing as quite as well in the current tank.
Last week I removed my reactor with the All In One pellets due to a number of comments that they were (in some cases) causing bad outcomes. Although I never seemed to have any problems with them, I did notice there to be a reasonable amount of white scum building up in the sump.
I still run NoPoX (have for ages) and have now decide to run that alone - along with my big block of Marine Pure.
I'll be interested to see if the NoPoX alone can get it to, and maintain it, at the levels I want.
After 3 years I decide to read the Red Sea instructions for NoPoX dosing a bit more carefully and noted that they recommend to back off the dosing if the tank gets to zero/zero.
I quote "make sure that the nitrate and phosphate levels do not drop below the desired levels of NO3 = 0.25, PO4 = 0.02".
So what's the general opinion?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I'm wondering how many out there either do, try to, or don't worry that much on running their tanks at zero phosphates and zero nitrates.
So what's the general opinion?
I used not to worry about No3 and Po4 .. in fact, I never test my water for any parameters, except SG, so nothing on Ca, Mg & Alk.

Only the past few weeks or months, I don't know what gotten into me, I've been researching lots about it and do worry (or try to) running my tank at zero Po4 and zero No3.

You would've noticed my NoPox thread :)

My tank looks healthy, hardly any algae (so far), if i recall correctly 2 or 3 small spots here and there with algae.

The only reason am chasing the number down is because I have tried to keep Acro in my tank and I failed miserably .. it went brown (too much zooxanthellae) which I'm fairly sure 95% due to high No3.

And yes, i'm trying to gear my tank towards SPS now hence the reason above.

gigglypig

Feb 15, 2016
When I started I made sure it was always zero.
Today, I dont run zero zero and my corals have never looked better. And ive never had any issues. Though I don't have an SPS system only LPS and morphs. I only run a skimmer and a reactor with biopellets.
My nitrates have not been checked in more then 4 months, last I checked was 25ppm and cant remember the phosphates. I will put in a couple of drops of seachem prime fortnightly.
My tank is a nano <100L with a sump and water changes are made every 1 month or so.

I think the level of nitrates and phosphates will depend on what reef system is running...

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I used to run nitrates around 20-30 and phos betwen 0.1 and 0.3.

I've tried to push that in the last 12 months and now run nitrate about 0.75-3 and phos around 0.04-0.10.

Not sure i've seen any great difference

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It certainly doesn't need to be zeroed to be a healthy reef. Products that make zero easy to achieve weren't common 10 years ago and there were plenty of healthy tanks back then.

IMO, it only makes sense to chase a ultra low nutriente system (ULNS) if the persons is prepared to re-educate itself and it solves a problem or achieves something you wish.
Reality is that most people do, because it is cool to try something new. :)

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Not to worried about Phos mine rarely falls below 0.02 but like to keep some NO3.

Otherwise i find it difficult to keep some corals at 0. I add NO3 through the dose pump testing weekly, adding more NO3 if the level falls below .5 and add less when it goes over 1ppm. Most corals seem pretty happy and good colours. Coralines also grow well and seem to stop when NO3 is 0.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Dave ,
Let me first start by saying that it depends on what test kit you use.
Hanna is the best for P04 & ALK IMO
Now...right or wrong I link P04 to nutrients in the water.
I don't think anyone should aim for Zero, SPS's show stress signs and can even RTN/STN from a P04 reading of zero in my experience.

What I do depending on the reading i get is.......

Zero = stop doing water changes & feed more
0.01 = stop doing water changes & feed more
0.02 = feed a little more.
0.03 - 0.06 what ever you have been doing keep it up.
0.07+ start doing bigger WC feed a little less

Just my 2 cents

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hi Dave ,
Let me first start by saying that it depends on what test kit you use.
Hanna is the best for P04 & ALK IMO
Now...right or wrong I link P04 to nutrients in the water.
I don't think anyone should aim for Zero, SPS's show stress signs and can even RTN/STN from a P04 reading of zero in my experience.

What I do depending on the reading i get is.......

Zero = stop doing water changes & feed more
0.01 = stop doing water changes & feed more
0.02 = feed a little more.
0.03 - 0.06 what ever you have been doing keep it up.
0.07+ start doing bigger WC feed a little less

Just my 2 cents
Excellent 2 cents worth ;)