Reef Discussion

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Zoa Help
OK,

So none of my zoas are doing very well. :(

Everythings else seems to be going fairly good as far as i know (only been doing this for couple of months).

I dont have a full range of test kits yet but the ones I do have and the latest results are :

All salifert kits.

Calcium 440ppm
dKH 8.5
Alkalinity 3.02 meq/l
Magnesium 1300ppm
Nitrate 10ppm.
I am doing 20L water changes every week also.

Was thinking maybe I should loook at doing fresh water dip of the zoas. RO water ?

Thoughts or other suggestions ?

Cheers

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Water parameters seem to be alright. What lights do you have? Any chance there could be a pest attacking your zoas over night? Any fish pecking at them?

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
The lighting I have currently going is 24w PL globe which is the one with 2 cylinders in it (1 white 1 actinic) and some DIY jaycar style LED's which were put in by previous owner.

Im not sure what might be picking at them.

Tank inhabitants are
1 BW Clown
1 Bi Colour dotty back
1 CB Shrimp (1.5 weeks ago, problem has been around longer than that)
1 Green Coral Goby (1 week ago)
2 Trochus Snails
4 Turbo Snails
2 Nassarius Snails.

I dont think they are open to have anything to pick at to be honest but i could be wrong.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
I have 3. Dont know what types they are. A couple might be the same but not 100% sure as they havent opened for a while. 2 of them are multiple (say 15 or 20 plus) polips on rocks and the other is 3 or 4 polips on frag tile.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
So I am going to get some FSW tomorrow to do a water change.

Should I get some RO water if the have some to do a dip of the zoas ?

And if so how do I do it lol ?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
If you are going to do an RO dip ... get the RO to a similar temperature to the tank, stick the zoas in and leave for say 60 seconds. Then just place back in the tank and cross your fingers ... though remember they might stay closed for a few days at least before they improve.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
One thing, I only have the one heater which is in the main tank. How critical is the temp match between the two lots of water ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What are you hoping to achieve with the RO dip? I am generally loath to treat for something that I don't actually know exists.

The zoa's may just not like the light and/or flow where you currently have them. I was reading an article yesterday about a tank full of zoa's and he had trouble with some not opening. I will provide the link later.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
What are you hoping to achieve with the RO dip? I am generally loath to treat for something that I don't actually know exists.
True. But I have found with zoas that it's sometimes the little kickstart they need, particularly if they have been closed for a long period. I've theorized that it is to do with the protective mucus they secrete lingering and telling them to stay closed up tight. I think an RO dip might remove some of this covering.

I might be talking bollocks but as I said, a theory ;)