Reef Discussion

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Zoa looking things touching my toadsool
Hi guys I have 3 zoa looking things but have long stems, they are touching my toadstool and is making it not open fully, could they e poisoning it? If they are and I want to cut them off do I have to take them off from The rock or can I cut them in the middle of them stem or closest I can to the rock? Will it poison the water with them half cut?
Thanks will try get a photo up tonight sometime

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Id take a deep breath and get a confirmed I.D on these before you even go anywhere near hacking these out.....

Without a photo and from your description im going to jump to the worse case scenario here and guess these may be paly's that youve got. You go hacking those things with a scalpal and no protective gear and your likely to be just plain dead.....Please come back with a photo BEFORE you touch them, just to be sure! Paly's are EXTREMELY poisonous to humans.

i.d take a deep breath and get a confirmed I.D on these before you even go anywhere near hacking these out.....

Without a photo and from your description im going to jump to the worse case scenario here and guess these may be paly's that youve got. You go hacking those things with a scalpal and no protective gear and your likely to be just plain dead.....Please come back with a photo BEFORE you touch them, just to be sure! Paly's are EXTREMELY poisonous to humans.
mmm i didn't know that thxs mate,it's a wonder im not dead i have cut heaps of stuff in my tank :eek

WOAH!!!! Please confirm the i.d first!!

EDIT: Adding this photo, if they look remotely like this....research first!!!

a0.tqn.com_d_saltaquarium_1_0_J_9_jdillmanpolyps_400.JPG
omg i have stuff that looks like that and i have cut it heaps of times....now i do think about it i did say to my misso one day that i thought that the corals where making me sick after i cut some!!!

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Holy shit, just reading some
Of the things about them it can kill red blood cells, since I've had these in my tank and every time I put my arms in and do something I always feel tired after that sometimes fr weeks and te doctor said I didn't have enough red blood cells wowowowowowowow holy shit, how do I get rid of this shit? Can I buy a underwater blow torch?

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
No probs lads, now i've got you worked up ill calm you down again saying not all paly species are this deadly, but it is something that needs to be researched before you do it and the risks mitigated! I'll let you guys do your own research into removal methods, but at least now you can make an informed choice and take care of yourselves ;)

what ever you do dont use boling water to kill them this is what can happen lol..As mentioned in this paper, the scientists documented a reefkeeper that encountered palytoxin in his home aquarium in 2007. Apparently this unfortunate reefkeeper was attempting to remove some offending zoanthid species from rockwork in his aquarium and read someplace that boiling water would do the trick. During the removal process, he apparently inhaled some of the aerosolized palytoxin (in the steam) and encountered a severe respiratory reaction shortly thereafter.

found this to.... This is the first report to our knowledge that documents both high PLTX [palytoxin] presence and phylogenetic identity for commercially available zoanthids from aquarium stores. ...

During this investigation, we found that many of the zoanthids commonly sold in the home aquarium trade are non-toxic or weakly-toxic, but a highly toxic variety of Palythoa (possibly P. heliodiscus or P. toxica) is indeed available. It often occurs as a tank contaminant and can be unintentionally introduced with more desirable species or on live rock. ...

Regardless, we have shown that a Palythoa sp. just as toxic as the legendary limu can not only be found outside of the tidepools at Mu'olea, it is available in retail commerce and present in home aquaria, with the owners often unaware of the deadly poisons they are being exposed to."

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
It's my largest rock no way of removing it everything else is built around it hha dam, what If I inject boiling water when it is inside the tank?

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
I havent tried this myself, but logically i would think that vinegar injection should do the trick. Cheap to try at any rate.
Failing that, you can commercially buy majano wands, which essentially electrocuting them to death.

Regardless, it think it is unlikely that you Sarco is getting poisoned by them, but it may be going through its molt phase....