Tank Journal Archive

Sump Insert
Decided to make up a sump insert to help with sock changes.
sump 2.JPG
Recessed the sock holding ring so that water will flow straight in as aposed to having to go over the sock ring first.
sump 1.JPG

I will upload some more pics when the insert is installed into the sump. The days are a bit hot to go without a chiller for a few hours so... hopefully soon.

Ok, Before...
photo 1.JPG

REMOVE DOOR TO GET THE SUMP OUT...
photo 2.JPG

Cleaning and removal of existing baffles.
photo 1.JPG

Insert pre-made baffles and sock mount.
photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Sump back in the cabinet 3 hours later.
photo 4.JPG

That evening i let it fill and run.
photo 5.JPG

So after all this i have realized a few things i must admit i knew... As some of you may or may not know, the height at which your filter sock sits out of the water will have a direct impact on how often you will need to clean it. (water weight pushing through a sock will force more water through and will last longer, water will always take the easiest path... if that path is 20% clogged sock... the water will rise and overflow.) So as a result i will need to do my insert again and this time lift the sock so that it hangs by its platform at leas 200-300 mm higher (not in then water). That will give me a week plus between sock changes. At the moment im averaging 4 days. Otherwise the new system works great. It has allowed me to double my water change volume out of the sump and the ease of getting to the sock is great.

Stay tuned...

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hey @somethingfishy76

Firstly, great idea and I love the timing as I am about to redesign (make a new) sump and you've given me an idea. Can I ask did you get this made up or make it yourself? If someone made it, do you have the details and can you give a ballpark figure of the cost (or cost of materials if it was DIY)

Secondly, leave it as is. You don't want a sock lasting a week. In fact, changing every day or second day would be preferred otherwise it (the sock) will become a nitrate factory. Better to clean the debris more often.

Cheers

Hey @somethingfishy76

Firstly, great idea and I love the timing as I am about to redesign (make a new) sump and you've given me an idea. Can I ask did you get this made up or make it yourself? If someone made it, do you have the details and can you give a ballpark figure of the cost (or cost of materials if it was DIY)

Secondly, leave it as is. You don't want a sock lasting a week. In fact, changing every day or second day would be preferred otherwise it (the sock) will become a nitrate factory. Better to clean the debris more often.

Cheers
Good point there about the Nitrate factory... I totally agree. Something i did know but i suppose due to running Bio pellets i have seen low to zero Nitrates and didn't think to increase frequency of sock changes. But i agree, more often is always better... just need to be less lazy and do it :p

As for the design build and materials, I did it all myself. Materials from a place nearby that was kind enough to give me some off cuts and the design well, just see what you need and have fun with it. Cut straight and don't push too hard when drilling or jigsawing.... Its fun to create and so much more satisfying when its complete and working as it was planned.:D