Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
1 Month In, What I Like, What I Don't Like, What I Plan To Do Lastly For Long Term Running Ease
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Cal: 420
kH: 160
Phos: 0 Salifert
pH: 8.06 every morning
PH: 8.43 every evening
SG: 1.02 to 1.025

*red sea salt with reef energy A&B in the tub for water changes
*fraction continuum to declorinate
*seachem pH8.3 buffer in the brew bucket

all these levels pretty much exactly he same since the end of week 2

now Ammonia is a weird one.
The Seneye is reading 0.01 to 0.017
The API is showing 0
and the LFS is still sold out of Salifert tests so I have nothing to balance it against and work out the true value.

My suspicion is the probe on the seneye is a bit dicky but I'd need a 3rd test from a different source to confirm it.

After a bit of research and to make my longterm care easier I have put in a poly-filter after the skimmer.

It gets quiet brown and mucky within a 7-10 day period.

I have not turned on the ATS yet because it shorted out, need to get a sparky mate to put a new box on the end of it fumble fingers with a dislocated thumb on one hand and sprained index finger on the other dropped it in a bit of water, I do not think the load in the system warrants it just yet anyway.

Picked up one of my 2 new Vectra pumps from EcoSmart, hopefully plumbed and installed this weekend along with the second one.

Skimmer is bringing up brown liquid of a fairly clear nature lots of bubbles but no real gunk, I think a lot of the muck is getting picked up by the poly-filter and bypassing it.

I have had a fair bit of evaporation however salinity is not increasing since I put the poly-filter in, has anyone had experience whereby the P-filter traps excess salt crystals? is it even possible? am I just imagining it?

All corals are doing great, however my clownfish is now hosting the long tentacle goni :banghead - it doesn't seem to mind and is opening fully but everything I read online bar a few comments say it will cause it to die long term..

Yesterday I caught the female pulling the smaller one by the tail fin down towards it, he has not gone in it since she has, I hope it was just her being a bully and nothing more sinister/unpaired.. I didn't see him do the little jitter dance so I don't know if he is submissive to her or not.

Still getting a fair bit of bright green and browny red algae, hopefully when the ATS is running it will help eliminate it.

Quiet a bit of macro algae coming up too now from the depths of the live rock, green and red by the looks... hopefully a good thing.

4 colonies of Xenia coral though, not very happy about that, I will probably shroud that LR with hammer corals and then they won't be able to compete with them for space.

I really wish I had gone for a bigger tank though, thats my only gripe :rage ahhh man how I missed being a fish nerd, don't think the wife quiet knew what she was getting into / me back into..

Makes me want to go diving again. ;)

Pictures when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Well, I just ran home to get a new fridge delivered, and I popped over to the tank to take a photo or two and what do I see crawling on the back wall?

a Mother Funkin Nudibranch! - Nearly fell over with joy, my utmost fav creature to observe diving and the one I try and photograph the most!!!

I just hope he has enough food source, probably no surprise he is now hanging around the walls since the outbreak of medusa hydroids, primary food source as a juvenile I think

Photos are not very good with the iPhone I will try take some better ones with my camera tonight.

There is a pink coral/sponge with spores on one of the live rocks as seen in the first picture, can anyone classify what it is exactly? the little spores have only just open up in the last day or two, I thought it was just dead calcium structure and it would die off and turn white but instead it is living and surviving and hopefully thriving.

Attachments

scottme

Apr 26, 2015
Lake Maquarie
Ooooh - you got a fancy pancy clown :) I'm getting a pair of Percs in my DT in a week or two, and I hope they host the most obvious thing (my Crispa).

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
yes i up-cycled the black and white Darwin's for these.. unfortunately i down-cycled my wallet at the same time o_0

one is clearly the larger female but she seems to be beating up on the smaller male