Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
21 Days Post Spawn (11/5/14) - A Small Glimmer Of Hope
After many issues with my egg tumbler, I went to bed last night hoping that things would get better. When I looked first thing this morning I wasn't so sure o_0

In an attempt to keeps the eggs tumbling it appears that I had a bit too much water movement in the glass and everything had ended up in the breeding net. I then spent the next 15 minutes trying to recover everything, including one fry that had hatched overnight (I was meant to be getting my wife breakfast for Mothers Day :dead).

I noticed that I was missing a couple of eggs but couldn't see them anywhere - also, the fry was swimming out of the glass and back into the breeding net and them getting caught in the folds of the net and under the plastic bars that holds the net together.

So, out came the original egg tumbler and eventually I got everything back together - although this resulted in a further delay to breakfast :rolleyes. I was left with 2 fry and 1 egg - one of the eggs had hatched during the transfer back to the tumbler.

After breakfast was eventually organised I removed the breeding net and fairly quickly noticed that two fry were caught under the edges of the net :banghead - we eventually got them free but a look under the microscope confirmed that one was already dead and the second looked to have a broken pectoral fin. I decided that it wasn't worth disrupting the other fry any further and euthanised this one.

After a closer examination of the first fry it looks like it has a damaged caudal peduncle - you can see the white area in this photo - I don't expect this one to survive

Banggai-Fry-104.jpg

This is the one that hatched out during the transfer to the tumbler this morning and looks fine

Banggai-Fry-103.jpg

And this is the remaining egg

Banggai-Eggs-84.jpg

I am pleased to report that this egg hatched late this afternoon and the fry looks good.

So, I am currently left with 3 fry, although I suspect that one will die overnight.

Once again, I seem to have done lots of things wrong but the reality is that I have struggled with the egg tumbler from day 1 - hopefully most of these issues will be fixed with the tumbler which I have purchased and I should have in time for the next spawn.

We will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings - I started a batch of brine shrimp this afternoon which should be ready Tuesday morning if required.

Cheers

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
Still great news that some pulled through! Sounds like the next spawn will be even more successful :). Good Work!