Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
2nd August 2013
The original TJ is now discontinued but can be found at http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/the-3-foot-seahorse-ranch.6756/

I renovated the ranch yesterday as I had to catch my bi color blenny to go to a new home so figured it was a good time to do a bit of rescaping.

This is what the tank looked like.

This is what it looks like after the makeover.
fts1.jpg

It looks a bit cluttered but it isn't all that bad with plenty of space around everything for flow. As you can tell there are quite a few different morphs, some rics and a rhodactis or two (I think!). The dark patches of "fuzz" are dead man's finger macro algae that I got from @chrispc66 that have really taken off, not a lot of detail visible in the pic but it is a great looking macro.

A snap of few morphs.
morph1.jpg

And my male Hippocampus barbouri , the female was busy hunting towards the back so he decided to show off at the front.
shm.jpg

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Awsome macro growth. Are the seahorses attracted to it? I would think it would harbour heaps of critters that your seahorse would enjoy hunting!

Wondering to if @TheJordans have contacted you regarding some of this macro?

I have quite a bit of it now in my fuge, since adding a fuge flare from @naqua it has really taken off.

Only had a few fragments left after my MASWA mates raided it too!

Have a nice heap of American Chaeto going too....:)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
There is a load of things living in it from snails to bristleworms and all sorts of tiny critters in amongst it. The seahorses love hunting around in it and it gives them a good anchor to hold onto as well.

Bek saw it not long after I got it but I don't know if their tank is ready for some but seeing how it looks when it takes off I think they will love it.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Thanks @Priscacara and @chrispc66 :D

A few weeks after I was actively chasing some, @firebird got in touch and kindly sent me some "codium". She was wondering if it was the same thing, but IMO they look different. The one above seems to grow quite densely (which is what I observed when I was at Les's that day, and also was in keeping with what Chris had told me), but this codium stuff, while still fairly rigid like above, it's far more spaced out. It's really began to sprout a bunch of new nodules since having it under the Illumagics, but I don't know that it will ever be as dense as the Dead Man's Fingers??

Either way, we're happy with what we have for now, thank you :D We'll be sure to get in touch if we change out minds, though ;)

And your tank is looking great, Les!! So rapt for you that the ponies are going so well :D

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Excellent that everything is going well for all, and Les that's awesome news for your seahorse tank.

Nothing like providing them a good hunting ground for health and well being.

By the way, the fossils have sparked up plenty of conversation pieces in my home, I thank you for that....:)