Tank Journal Archive

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
3 And A Half Months And Changing The Tank!
So after almost 4 months I've just placed an order for a RedSea reefer 525 xl.
The depth of the current tank got the better of me.
Apart from stressing about the current livestock I am excited and eager to get things set up.
With any luck next weekend the new
tank will be set up and hopefully cycles quickly.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
I thought it might :rolleyes
But, I didn't expect it to take less than 4 months
:eek
Lol @MagicJ, I probably could handle it longer but every night I'd think about how much harder it would be trying to move over more livestock in the long run.
Tank is still considerably empty apart from 5 coral, 3 fish and the CUC.
I'm already stressing on where I'm going to put the current stock until the new tank cycles!
I've only just got the gha totally under control and water parameters stable and to where I want them to be!

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Congrats on the new tank, the Red Sea will make all your reef dreams come true.
That is provided one doesnt dream of cheap corals with magnificent coloration or a one drop a day liquid to control nitrates and phosphates and maintain alk/ca/mg like I do :D

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Nice, I'm sure you'll love the new tank!

I used a pair of these food grade tubs from bunnings to hold my rock/livestock while moving a tank at the end of last year. You're welcome to borrow them (1x 120L, 1x 160L) if you like.
Thank you for the offer @Ben Daley.
How long would they be ok in there for though?

Event though I am using everything from my current tank and some extra sand and rock wouldn't the tank still have to cycle before I put the livestock back in the new tank?

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I think you should be able to move the contents of your old tank to the reefer without any loss of livestock.
Hopefully someone with more experience can give you a second opinion.
Short answers:
How long would they be ok in there for though?
A few days should be fine. You might get away with longer by doing water changes or adding additional filtration. My concern with a longer duration would be providing enough food and dealing with the waste.

Event though I am using everything from my current tank and some extra sand and rock wouldn't the tank still have to cycle before I put the livestock back in the new tank?
I didn't detect any spikes when I did this, but every tank is different so it's possible you will have a small cycle (my tank was also 9 months old). Personally I would avoid putting back unwashed sand or adding new rock for a couple of weeks. You could certainly hedge your bets by using a bacterial additive such as Seachem Stability or Dr Tims One and Only to prevent any spikes.

Longer answer:
Before moving the tank, I created a simply plan consisting of the steps to take, what equipment I needed and realistically how long each step would take (particularly making RODI water / mixing salt). In my case, I was trying to buff out a scratch in the glass which added (wasted) a lot of time, so you could probably do your move over a weekend.
When I moved my tank I put the fish, rock and filter media in one tub and the corals in another. They were in the tubs for 3 days with a heater and wave maker (no sand, no skimmer, no lights) and one small feeding of flake per day.

Once the tank was moved, on day 2 I partially filled the DT with enough new water to cover the rocks, added the rock along with a heater and wave maker, then added clean sand and left it overnight to settle. I spent the better part of day 3 adding the livestock back to the tank (acclimating everything as I went) and then slowly topped off the system with the old water from the tubs. I tested for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate every other day for the next week but did not see any spikes.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for the advice @Ben Daley.
I just got off the phone with the guy that is going to install everything for me, ( came highly recommended and wish I'd heard of him prior to wasting my money at the other LFS). He's also recommended I don't use any of the sand. He suggested that I should be fine putting my livestock back into the new tank but said he'd test my parameters and take it from there. Was kind enough to offer to keep them in his holding tanks if need be.
Hopefully I get the Reefer on Friday so we can start the next chapter on the weekend.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I recently moved tanks over and then moved house a few months later.

I just bought new sand - drained half the old water into 20ltr water tubs from bunnings, filled new tank with sand then filled up with the same water from the old tank, moved over the rocks so it was easier to catch the fish.

Then just finished moving all the fish and then the last of the water and was done, sounds like it's a quick job but took me the better part of a full day

So you shouldn't need a new cycle and everything should be a straight swap over to the new tank just try make sure you get your scape right before you move any fish over

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
With the tank you have chosen you cant go wrong so please do post how you go with the shift. Unfortunately I am not in a position to advice as I would probably do more damage than help but I am very interested to hear how it goes. With the livestock though, with a heater and a water mover I am sure it will be ok for a couple of weeks if not longer..I would do a water change every 7 days..If you look at how the LFS stock stuff.. they make it look like the poor critters are super beings...Every fish I buy seems to double in size in a matter of weeks... I did say that I should not advice though didn't I :)