Tank Journal Archive

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
3 Month Update - December 2013
Some updates!

I've added some more live rock and re-scaped. I've added a extra wave maker and a few small corals (tiny teal morph, candy cane coral, very small leather mushroom etc) and sold the Anemone as Shelby prefers the torch.

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_1.jpg

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e05a33bf9687c4ac9e0a_1.jpg

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e05a33bf9687c4ac9e0a_2.jpg

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e05a33bf9687c4ac9e0a_3.jpg

Still some extra rock work needed in the back left hand corner to finish off the Assessor's mansion:
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e05a33bf9687c4ac9e0a_4.jpg

And the whole set up. Have added some red macro algae to the sump and upgraded the lighting (the old LED light failed to keep the algae alive, so I've started again)

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e05a33bf9687c4ac9e0a_5.jpg

The only other things down here are the glass cleaner (I'm due to do that, usually every 3 days I give it a wipe over - I don't like the magnet types, so the little yellow dish brush soft clean attachment down there got hot water soaked and I use that, as I want to eliminate ANY chances of scratches)

The white tray you can see in there is the skimmer catcher. It's a George Forman drip tray that I'd never used and it fits in there perfectly. In the centre section there is a grid with floss and carbon pads and chemi pure elite in the left hand side.

I'm going to upgrade the sump to a semi-trickle system on the left when I save a little more, with a similar overall set up.

Still need to add more CUC. As it's a simple overflow with a straight run to the sump from the gooseneck in the back chamber, there's no chances of snails getting stuck.

Looking forward to getting some more acan frags to make a little acan garden.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_2.jpg

My Green Torch is doing really well and doesn't mind the attention of the clown.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_3.jpg

The Open Trachy Brain was my first coral and honestly, I'm SO in love with it. It's just stunning. Light, bright and puffy. It has grown FAST!!
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_4.jpg

My Blue/Green and this Red/Green button/donut were chomped by a rogue snail that now lives in the sump. I wasn't fast enough to save the Blue/Green one, but I did save this one and the 20% eaten flesh has come back in a matter of 6 weeks.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_5.jpg

This Fungia is growing as fast as a thunderstorm. It's still got it's stalk, so it's perched up here. Eats really well. It's not as green as it was when it was little, but it's super happy and I love the stripes.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_6.jpg

Top Tank Shot. My first top shot. The clam looks magic from up here and you get an idea of the rock work projection.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_7.jpg

Grumpy Clam (well, it's actually quite a happy clam and has grown another flute on it's skeleton/shell. Does NOT like to be fed, but I keep an eye on calcium to make sure it hovers around 480 to keep it happy and healthy. It looks purple from eye level and neon blue from above.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_8.jpg

The new candy cane coral, still settling in but it happily ate (and had seconds) yesterday.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_9.jpg

Hrmm, nice shot of some algae beside the purple star polyps and a little stick has flipped over with a morph on it.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_10.jpg

After being tortured by my hermit crab (now rehomed) and living as a skeleton for a week or 2, the orange plate has bounced back really well.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_11.jpg

I'm still in 2 minds about whether to keep Shelby, my Perc, as she is verrrrrrrrrrrry aggressive, but will see how she goes.
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_12.jpg

My little red acan. Growing down (where you can see the feeder tentacles)
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_13.jpg

And the new baby! Blue Assessor. I'm in love. What a stunning little fish he is. The clown hasn't bothered him yet (she is more intent on harrassing the tiny 1/2" blue/green chromis) and if she keeps that up she will probably have to find a new home. I want a peaceful tank.

amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_14.jpg

He has the biggest tail I've ever seen. Still settling in and a little shy. Not interested in pellets, more frozen (which is fine, I feed varied)
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_b8d11c41ca540161ed34_15.jpg

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Thanks for the kind words :-) I'm very happy with how the rock scaping has turned out (I can tell you, I spent HOURS on it this time around) and only need one more small (correctly shaped) piece for the back left, to finish it off.

And of course, more little pieces to add, as I go.

Cheers,
Nicole

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Thanks for the kind words :) I'm very happy with how the rock scaping has turned out (I can tell you, I spent HOURS on it this time around) and only need one more small (correctly shaped) piece for the back left, to finish it off.

And of course, more little pieces to add, as I go.

Cheers,
Nicole
I'm still rescaping after 12 months lol

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I know what you mean by looking for that right piece of rock.
We have been looking for a very large shelf piece for ages now!
It will turn up, you just have to keep your eyes open lol :)

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
It's hard when you are a perfectionist :-P

I was very selective with my rock pieces and I am VERY lucky that my brother runs a little at-home fish and reef supplies business, so I could test out a few pieces and the ones that didn't work, went back. It was a challenge working in such a small space.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga

Just picked up a lovely little Lace Coral (an orange one) from my brother that is just settling in (@OSCAR85 I will also get a blue one too, love yours) so I'll go take a quite phone snap of that.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
look amazing mate :)

can I ask what camera you use to take your pics?

does the diffuser lessen the light at all? or still really bright?

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Canon 600D with stock kit lens. I have LOADS to learn and will get a proper macro lens when I can afford the one I want ($700) I have a Jungle Python as well so I'd like to be able to take nicely focused macro shots.

The diffuser doesn't aesthetically lessen the light, just the disco ball effect. I haven't measured PAR or PUR so I have no idea of the impact of that. But seeing as I only run it at a max of 75% and everything seems blissfully happy, it's made no impact. I would like to get the proper film from the US (cannot get anything like it here) and make a super thin acrylic diffuser with that film, but it's a little bit off yet.

Cheers,
Nicole

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
The stock 'kit lens' that came with the camera is just the Canon 18-55mm IS lens (IS = Image Stability) If you search engine "Canon EOS 600D w/18-55mm IS Lens Digital SLR Camera" you'll be able to find the link to the Camera House site. I also bought an additional Yongyou external flash online (that I can bounce of things) as I haaaaaaaaaaate the flash effect on things.

Eventually I'd like to get a Canon 100mm f2.8 IS Macro Lens as they are great for both macro work and portraiture, which is what I seem to like taking photo's of.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I just got a new lense today for my Sony NEX 5 :)

50mm OSS f1.8 lense saw some photos taken with one I really can't wait I have no idea about cameras lol