Tank Journal Archive

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
6 Week Update
Alright! an Update!
kinda.. haha
The tank has been cycling now for just over 6 weeks and im really happy with how its progressed.
The turbos have done a wonderful job and they even felt comfortable to lay a batch of eggs the other week.
As of today the tank is basically diatom and algae free, the pre-soak of the real reef rock and snails really helped in this regard i believe.

The piece of live rock i added from the mini has worked well to bring in micro fauna. There's copepods showing up on the glass and the amphipods have gone crazy, there's hundreds on the sand bed at night.

Got some good news that the custom MP40 i ordered is on its way and should hopefully have it by the end of the week. Can't remember if i mentioned it but i ordered one with a longer cord from pump to driver. The standard length unfortunately wouldn't reach with the pump mounted on the right side of the tank and the driver mounted on the left on my electrical box.
Once i've got that installed i can finally move over the stock from the mini.

I have got some concerns with moving things over. First with the zoanthids but mostly the hundreds of vermatid snails that have taken hold over the last 6 months.
I recently had an acro completely grown over by zoas so im very hesitant to introduce them, at least onto the main rockwork. I've thought about a small zoa island but not sure I'll be happy with the placement. I may keep a small frag of my fire/ice zoas and bin the rest.
I say bin as it will be extremely hard to remove the hundreds of vermitds that cover the rock and some corals. I plan on taking just the coral across and any small piece of rock that comes with them will be painstakingly looked over for any of the little buggers.

And cant have an update without some photos! :):) (also just realised how dirty the lens is.. :banghead)

DSC03376.JPG
DSC03368.JPG
DSC03382.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
haha I saw this on R2R and was going to tag you in this build @OSCAR85 as soon as it popped up as you're the only one I've known to match this level of perfection :P

Just stunning Matt! Now you have to keep it this way or we're all going to be making fun of you :P I think a little zoa garden might be nice or maybe even some very small single variety ones around on the sandbed would look good! You'll have to be super pick about it though lol (also I super glue the ends of vermitid snails shut and that works a treat lol

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
looks beautiful, love the simple lay out
Thanks for the kind words! Now if i can stock it with corals and get them to look as nice as yours I'll be over the moon :)
Is your tank still running? I'd love to see an update.

haha I saw this on R2R and was going to tag you in this build @OSCAR85 as soon as it popped up as you're the only one I've known to match this level of perfection :p

Just stunning Matt! Now you have to keep it this way or we're all going to be making fun of you :p I think a little zoa garden might be nice or maybe even some very small single variety ones around on the sandbed would look good! You'll have to be super pick about it though lol (also I super glue the ends of vermitid snails shut and that works a treat lol
Oh bloke you're to kind! Its still very early but i hope i can match the feel of the tank so far with coral variety and placement. And if its no longer pleasing to your eyes mate please let the jokes roll in! haha :p
Once the power heads are installed it will detract a bit from the aesthetic but oh well, a closed loop would have been rad.
Yea i think you're right on the money with the zoas. They're the missus' favorite to so they gotta be in there somewhere lol
I'll have to keep an eye out for some of you're special ones!
The problem with the vermatids is they're not the big ones, I've had a few of them and super glue does work a treat. But these small ones grow in every nook and cranny in the 100's :banghead

Such a clean set up! as Dom said you better keep it up...
What are you thinking of stocking fish wise?
Thanks! Haha i know pressure right?!
Im thinking a pair of Genicanthus melanospilos
A Zebrasoma xanthurum
That will be it for 'big' fish then probably a Gramma loreto a couple yellow assesors, maybe some chromis.
Would love a group of Bartlet anthias, will have to think about them more.
And of course my current fish

Your tank has made my dirty dozen!
Where is the subscribe button:cum
Haha thanks bloke :D Ive set up the foundry now i need to watch and learn from you on how to make corals grow!

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
A Zebrasoma xanthurum
That will be it for 'big' fish then probably a Gramma loreto a couple yellow assesors, maybe some chromis.
haha youll be fine, maybe...
Those are some nice fish there :D

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Thanks for the kind words! Now if i can stock it with corals and get them to look as nice as yours I'll be over the moon :)
Is your tank still running? I'd love to see an update.

Oh bloke you're to kind! Its still very early but i hope i can match the feel of the tank so far with coral variety and placement. And if its no longer pleasing to your eyes mate please let the jokes roll in! haha :p
Once the power heads are installed it will detract a bit from the aesthetic but oh well, a closed loop would have been rad.
Yea i think you're right on the money with the zoas. They're the missus' favorite to so they gotta be in there somewhere lol
I'll have to keep an eye out for some of you're special ones!
The problem with the vermatids is they're not the big ones, I've had a few of them and super glue does work a treat. But these small ones grow in every nook and cranny in the 100's :banghead

A Zebrasoma xanthurum

Haha thanks bloke :D Ive set up the foundry now i need to watch and learn from you on how to make corals grow!
Thank you. I sold it a while ago but i'm coming back to the hobby soon.

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
My sump is cleaner than that mate..come on try a little harder will ya :p .. Seriously what do you do ..spit and polish every hour :D

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
My sump is cleaner than that mate..come on try a little harder will ya :p .. Seriously what do you do ..spit and polish every hour :D
Haha wax on, wax off every hour on the hour! lol nah i think it just looks that way as there's no powerheads installed. There's also no livestock to make a mess yet and the dry rock meant no crazy algae bloom.

I dropped a pinch of pellets into the tank yesterday and the amphipods were all over them like piranhas!

In some good news, I finally got the MP40 and installed today so after a couple tests tomorrow morning I'll be transferring everything over. I'm actually feeling a bit anxious about pulling the mini down, Ive had it for so long now its not gonna feel right!