Reef Discussion

E

ezza

A Couple Of Useful Resources
The first: Ionic Balance.

I was looking for some info on ionic balance because I am pretty laissez faire when it comes to adding calc/mag/strontium/alk. I know what my levels are roughly, and have always been sporadic in my dosing- sometimes I just "dump it in". I know you're all screaming in horror... I have recently tried to be very regular in my dosing intervals and routines. I have had some fabulous growth and put this down to good habits and correct ionic balance of elements. The other night I put some bicarbonate in and then tested the next day to see what the "balance" was with calc and mag according to this chart. Well! My calc is about 25% higher than it ought to be compared to Alk, mag wasn't quite so high. I found it helpful and then had to try to calculate the amount of Alk I would need to add to create the correct ionic balance again. It would be great if there was some magical thing that does it all for you- if there is, it inevitably costs $1000- so I will use this handy chart for now!

http://www.reefgrow.com/tag/ionic-balance/

Secondly: Aquarimate App.

Yes, it costs money. Once you get over paying $15 for an app- the fact that it can do so much to help you manage your investment of many thousands of dollars is but a grain of sand in the ocean.

I found a review (http://www.madhattersreef.com/top-5-aquarium-app/) of several apps and liked the sound of the number 1:

Aquarium app #1 Aquaimate by WiseLogic Inc. The most expensive aquarium app on our list but it also is the aquarium app with the highest reviews. A must have app to maintain your awesome thriving aquariums! Designed to manage both Freshwater and Saltwater aquariums! Includes a very comprehensive livestock library of both Freshwater and Saltwater fish, coral, invertebrate and plant species. When it comes to maintaining our aquariums, we all want to stay organized and perform the routine husbandry tasks properly. After all, this is the key to success in maintaining any aquariums.

Features:
awww.madhattersreef.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_08_Screen_Shot_2015_08_15_at_2.40.58_PM_300x262.jpg
• Manage multiple aquariums separately,
• Record your parameter test results,
• Customize parameters for each tank by adding or removing parameters to your need,
• Easily convert measurements in different units and calculate the required dosing with the advanced unit converters and dosing calculators,
• Use the count-down timer to perform timed tests easier,
• Analyze your tank parameters along with your activities with beautiful, fullscreen and touch responsive graphs,
• Plot results of multiple parameters along with your husbandry activities all in one chart,
• Create your husbandry tasks and set reminders for them with an advanced scheduling system,
• Track your activities integrated with tasks and reminders,
• Keep all your notes organized in the searchable Notes section,
• Find information about your Freshwater & Saltwater livestock in Aquaribase,
• Import and save your livestock information from Aquaribase for each tank,
• Add your favorite livestock to the built-in wish list directly from Aquaribase,
• Visually keep track of tank inhabitants with Timelines,
• Analyze the progress of your livestock, along with your logged activities and test results, with Timelines,
• Store your tank equipment,
• Keep track of your expenses,
• Create photo galleries and organize all your photos in different albums,
• Backup & restore your app data wirelessly on Aquarimate Cloud.

Link

Cost: $9.99 (US)

The fact that the app has this huge index of fish and coral with pictures that you can select to keep your own record of your tank inhabitants and specimens is itself worth a great deal. It's awesome to have access to names of corals that can do easily slip your mind, as well as the ability to date when they first went into your tank... with the ability to do the same thing with hardware too, it really is a valuable tool for keeping stuff in one place.

I hope someone somewhere finds this helpful sometime. <3

E

ezza

Myself and @daveH use this Aquarimate app, fantastic at doing just about anything you want. I love it!
I was playing with the calculators earlier, they look very useful to help with the calculation of dosage. I went through to record all of the corals I have and found that I have totally forgotten names of some. The pics they have are helpful, but it would be nice to see if they would accept updates to some. Same thing for some of the fish, particularly my pet peeve, the wrasses. There are misidentifications in the wider aquarium world for the wrasses I keep and it would be great to have them listed too.

Also would be great to be able to view a bigger image of the coral or fish you took when you purchased/photographed it... but I guess that more storage space. I find the reminders helpful but sometimes they come around far too quickly...:D

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
++++ on Aquarimate. Love all the reminders and tasks and tracking of parameters. Tells me when all the maintenance is due on my tank. Even if I skip one every now and then.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Personally see little value in the app (not having a crack, just doesn't appeal to me) but LOVE the balance tables at the first web link.

Thanks for sharing!

E

ezza

Personally see little value in the app (not having a crack, just doesn't appeal to me) but LOVE the balance tables at the first web link.

Thanks for sharing!
I get it! I usually just store everything in my brain and look things up as reqd online. I'm really resistant to creating habits for myself too. I have found with reefing that with the sheer volume of info it can be hard to remember when you read/did/saw some stuff. For me, the combination of each of the features in the app combine to make it one whole reason to give it a try. I've used other systems, but none were so complete as this one. For the moments where I have mental blanks and forget the names of things (when I have a migraine and often when I am at the LFS because the driving to distant stores induces the types of pain that make me forget names of lights, fish, additives etc), it will make convos easier. :) that's just me :)

How freaking awesome are those charts?! I printed it out and I might laminate them perhaps.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
I just printed them on double side and laminated at work. Great idea. My question is that my NSW tests out by 20-30% on their charts. I figure if I just keep my tank at the NSW levels all should be fine. I know it's all stability stability stability. I don't think my kits are out as when I used ASW the tests read what is stated on the buckets. Do I try and reach 'ionic balance' or stick with what my NSW tests at?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I just printed them on double side and laminated at work. Great idea. My question is that my NSW tests out by 20-30% on their charts. I figure if I just keep my tank at the NSW levels all should be fine. I know it's all stability stability stability. I don't think my kits are out as when I used ASW the tests read what is stated on the buckets. Do I try and reach 'ionic balance' or stick with what my NSW tests at?
What figures are you getting for NSW?

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Well I'm going to do the new batch tonight but the last batch was 8dkh, calc 420, mag 1300. That was my first batch collected so will test the new batch tonight, might be my finger trouble.

E

ezza

Well I'm going to do the new batch tonight but the last batch was 8dkh, calc 420, mag 1300. That was my first batch collected so will test the new batch tonight, might be my finger trouble.
It all comes down to what you are seeing in your tank. Is growth and development of coral actually consistent and positive? Are you not achieving the correct growth? Technically, if the minerals in the water are not within Ionic Balance, then you would not be seeing optimal growth and development. When the Ionic balance is inaccurate, this is where minerals can actually leach out of the coral and the coral may be retarded in growth. You might also see bursts of coralline growth during periods of balance, vs none when minerals are out. What you would be hoping to achieve is all minerals in equivalent and optimal balance to Alk. Possibly the Alk has to increase or the calc and mag have to decrease for you to achieve this. It's not unusual for NSW in non-reef areas to have a disproportionate quantity of calc/mag as the rocks etc in those areas will leach different minerals into the environment based on the geology of the area.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
@ezza, sorry to hijack your thread. I have good encrusting on the SPS but not the best colour. Plus coraline has paled a bit lately. I have slowly been lowering alk from 10 to 8 so it matches NSW more but had an alk swing to 7 when dose line disconnected a 8 weeks back. I just thought running my local water parameters would be ideal but I might look into reaching the balance.