Reef Discussion

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
A Little Light Query
File 15-2-18, 11 10 12 am.jpeg

My Maxspect R420r is failing. I am in the process of getting prices to replace the LEDs and also finding out some prices if I can buy a new light (my husband had previously agreed to buying a new light but now he is saying he would rather I replace the LEDs... It's easy for him... he's not the one committing illegal acts of electrical repair...)

In the meantime, I found myself wondering whether there could be a way to utilise a cheap "outdoor" light fitting and some off-the-shelf lightbulb from Bunnings or something to supplement the lighting until replacement occurs. I have no idea when I will be able to fix it.

I use an outdoor spotlight inside my cabinet with a low wattage LED globe. I guess that's the kind of thing i'm wondering about.

Depends how long you need supplement light for. I'd say stay away from lights bought at lighting shops and so on because you will far sooner kill a coral with too much or wrong light than with reduced light. And for future piece of mind, buy a new light and be assured your corals are well lit and they will look the best they can with what you give them. I too have had the 16K maxspect Razor unit and I would say that that was my first proper light... Before that it was Aquarays and Ebay lights. Never had great success with them other than sustaining corals, but never saw any SPS doing too well under them. After my Razor of 12 months, I moved to Maxspect Ethereals, A huge step up from the Razor (mainly in adjustability, wifi and intensity/spread). But after another 12 months I came apon a bargain for two XR30pro gen 4 Radions. If not for the fantastic price, I'd still be on the Maxspect ethereal's.

Not everyone can swing the price of the Radions, it took me 6 years before I realised that the light you give your tank either makes it or breaks it. Kessil is great and I've seen shops run those Hydra52's as well. Look out for some second hand Radion Gen 3's, even Gen 2's.... Its absolutely worth it. Once you buy a decent light which has a proven track record, you'll be good knowing it going to work day in day out...

Good luck!

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Depends how long you need supplement light for. I'd say stay away from lights bought at lighting shops and so on because you will far sooner kill a coral with too much or wrong light than with reduced light. And for future piece of mind, buy a new light and be assured your corals are well lit and they will look the best they can with what you give them. I too have had the 16K maxspect Razor unit and I would say that that was my first proper light... Before that it was Aquarays and Ebay lights. Never had great success with them other than sustaining corals, but never saw any SPS doing too well under them. After my Razor of 12 months, I moved to Maxspect Ethereals, A huge step up from the Razor (mainly in adjustability, wifi and intensity/spread). But after another 12 months I came apon a bargain for two XR30pro gen 4 Radions. If not for the fantastic price, I'd still be on the Maxspect ethereal's.

Not everyone can swing the price of the Radions, it took me 6 years before I realised that the light you give your tank either makes it or breaks it. Kessil is great and I've seen shops run those Hydra52's as well. Look out for some second hand Radion Gen 3's, even Gen 2's.... Its absolutely worth it. Once you buy a decent light which has a proven track record, you'll be good knowing it going to work day in day out...

Good luck!
For a number of reasons I'm ordering the replacement LEDs for the r420r. i can get it faster and cheaper than a new system. I have looked at Ethereal, Hydra 52 and Orphek Atlantik... at this point a whole new system isn't as easy to afford and it will have to wait. As for a "booster"... i guess i'll hold off on that now too. it was just an idea. as it is i have been battling some algae that recently started to pop up... I guess I know why now!!!!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I wouldn't stress about reduced light till the replacements come. If you really want to get your tank popping along, perhaps keep an eye out for a twin t5 unit you could add as supplements to the maxspect. They come up now and then for a steal and running it during the peak of the day (say for like 4 hours) doesn't hurt the power bill too much. In fact, in summer my solar covers my supplemental lighting and in winter they reduce the need for the heater to warm the tank. Winning!

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
I woke up Friday morning at 5am with a corker of a migraine. The day went downhill from there. At some point, a courier appeared at the door with my parts! I started trying to fix the light around 5-6pm... I'm still here at 12.30am Saturday morning. I have all the lights coming on, but something is causing the first and last 3 lights to turn on with opposing light channels. so the first 3 will be blue, the last 3 white. There are no instructions for this. I found a diagram that shows half the wiring. I have no idea about how the wiring makes this 50/50 split.

http://www.aquariumsaustralia.com.au/assets/alt_2/RAZ-UPG-15000-300w.jpg << That is what I have.

I'll pull it apart again tomorrow and try to work it out.

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
72B1B1EC-F703-4DF7-857C-D243E97F53A4.jpeg

It’s stuff like this that makes me think that maybe, once my hands are fixed, I need to study electronics and electrical engineering or something. I bet my Dad could have told me what’s wrong just by looking at it. I just don’t know.

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
It’s quite extraordinary to see the difference in the tank with this hardware upgrade. The light is sooooooo much brighter and the blue spectrum is exceptional. It’s really UV saturated now. I’m seeing less algae (yay, it really wasn’t my tank husbandry!), all my corals have perked up and got their polyps out . I’m really hoping my acro colours up. It used to be this gorgeous olive green and has faded badly since I bought it. 11AB16C7-7282-4FF3-A00A-E94C39130DC5.jpeg

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Tank is looking great. Well done for persevering with fixing your light and working out the electricals.

I have the same light so read your post with interest. Please keep us posted with whether the change in ought quality results in your acro colouring back up.

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Tank is looking great. Well done for persevering with fixing your light and working out the electricals.

I have the same light so read your post with interest. Please keep us posted with whether the change in ought quality results in your acro colouring back up.
My corals are generally looking so much better. Things that had shriveled are plump, corals are visibly growing and improving.