Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
A Little Step And Some Old Friends Come Out To Play
Hello Everyone,

Well, the coral restocking journey has begun with a tiny baby step. One of my heaters passed away in the middle of the week and I went to the local fish store to buy a replacement. They didn't have the one I wanted, but I made the mistake of checking their reefing tanks. Saw some cool fish and resisted, but then my eyes lit on a tiny (a little bigger than a 5 cent piece), pure white (bleached?) anemone and I succumbed.

Haven't had an anemone before, but have wanted one for ages. Brought the little guy home and placed him near the front of the tank. Moved my light so only the front half of the tank is lit. Hoped that when he went walkabout he would stay somewhere in the light near the front.

In the first 24 hours he has moved to the nearest rock and attached himself under a small overhang. Obviously early days, but I wouldn't mind if he stayed there. RIght in the front left corner of the tank. :) also, he is already puffed up to larger than a 20 cent piece and his tips are starting to turn purple! :D

More good news tonight. Two denizens that I had not seen for ages and thought lost suddenly reappeared.

* I introduced a dog snail about 2 months ago. The first few weeks it was amazing to see him emerge from the substrate within 20 seconds of food hitting the water column. Then I stopped seeing him. Tonight he reappeared. Very happy.

* I have had an unknown crab living under one of my rocks since I started in this hobby 2.5 years ago. Only ever used to see him in the early hours of the morning (3-4am) and only once every couple of weeks. Hadn't seem him either for ages and found a crab shell a few weeks ago that was similar in size/shape. Thought he had died or killed. Saw him last night peeking out from under his usual rock. :)

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I hope the little anemone goes OK. Do you have your powerheads covered as, being so small, if it goes to move anywhere it could very quickly get caught up in the tank's water currents and end up in a very dangerous place.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
I hope the little anemone goes OK. Do you have your powerheads covered as, being so small, if it goes to move anywhere it could very quickly get caught up in the tank's water currents and end up in a very dangerous place.
Thanks for the tip, MJ. I had read about anemones ending up in dangerous places numerous times, but in my newbie ignorance thought that they moved close to one and were then sucked in. didn't consider them getting picked up into the water column somewhere elsewhere in the tank and the currents taking it into danger. Will sort out some sort of covering for my powerheads later today.

Update: He is still happily attached for the moment under his little overhang, getting bigger everyday and the purple tips are getting easier to see. So thumbs up for now. :)

If he stays there (a big if) main issue I forsee is getting targeted food to him (underhang + rock being fairly close to the front glass).