Tank Journal Archive

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
A Little Sump'in Sump'in
Nothing real to show for this post but I am looking for some input. I'm trying to finliase a sump design and I thought I'd throw it out here, for some public consultation ;-)

Here's roughly, what I'm thinking,

- an first chamber with the pipe coming in from the overflow box and also containing the skimmer (which isn't shown as raised in the diagram but it will be). No filter sock for the moment but I should be able to modify this to add one, pretty easily later, if needs be.

- center chamber, as a refugium, with cheato and some live rock, for pods. The heaters (I have a 100W and a 50W one currently) would also go in here. Anyone see an issue with that? I probably could fit them in the first chamber.

- a bubble trap. I was originally planning on 2 baffles but I'm thinking that the 3 baffle design may be necessary. It looked like I got a lot of microbubbles, in my first test last weekend, with no baffles in the sump yet.

- return chamber, for the pump and eventually the ATO sensors/float switch, once I sort that out.

I had toyed with the idea of trying to sub-divide the first chamber. Do you think I'll have issues with the Tunze 9004 if I don't? I also haven't taken into account glass thickness, which will reduce the usuable area a further 24mm, I'll probably shave some of this off the space between the baffles and then the rest off the refugium.

This diagram doesn't show that the real height of the tank is about 320mm, so I've got a little bit of safety built in, just in case any of the other safeties fail on me (ie. capacity for almost 7 liters of return siphon). I'm hoping that I'll only be dealing with about 1-1.5 litres of evaporation per day (from what I've read), so allowing for 4 litres of evaporation in the sump will hopefully be ok...any thoughts on that?

Any thoughts on adding a cover to the first chamber? I was seeing a reasonable amount of splashing from the bubbles , coming out of the overflow, in my test last weekend. Adding a lid to this section, might help with that.

Lastly, anyone know of any good sources for 6mm glass in Sydney, that will cut panels to size for me?

Front View

ai.imgur.com_9PK2jb1l.jpg

Top View

ai.imgur.com_aPH5vjll.jpg

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I picked mine up from Dee Why Glass if you're in the North Sydney area

I got 2 sheets of 1000x307 of 5mm glass for my baffles and cut the lengths I wanted because i was still undecided on the set up. The sheets cost me $33 each and were cut to that size for me was ready to pick up 2 days after I ordered. Went and picked up a glass cutter from Bunnings to cut it myself which was also pretty cheap and surprisingly very easy to cut!

I've still got one of the sheets and glass cutter left over it you want to cut it down to something that you can use you're welcome to it

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sydney glass supplied my last two tank and sump builds. I think his name is Ron or Rod.

With your drain pipe you can cut it to suit both straight or elbow for sock, I don't glue this section so I can run sock for cleaning and straight for normal use, the sock gets used on a weekly clean for a few hours and then sockless for until the next water change.

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
@Adam_w Thanks for the offer and @slin1977 thank you for getting back to me as well.

I ended up going for Gerry's Glass in Lidcome. They should have the glass ready for me tomorrow, or Wednesday....so the construction project will start this weekend.

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
So, some slight delays in getting the work done and an update out but here we go.

First blood!

ai.imgur.com_vVGtXfWl.jpg

Getting there, with a little help from Lonely Planet

ai.imgur.com_1rZguP3l.jpg

Tada!

ai.imgur.com_TfvuJW6l.jpg

Everything is set and cured now, so in theory I could fill it tomorrow, with my day off....but since I'm away for a week, from Saturday, I figured starting up a pump in my living room, without any supervision, might be asking for it. So tomorrow I'll have a last check for any leaks, I'll wire up the raspberry pi tank controller and I'll get ready for filling it in a weeks time.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
So, some slight delays in getting the work done and an update out but here we go.

First blood!

View attachment 56380

Getting there, with a little help from Lonely Planet

View attachment 56381

Tada!

View attachment 56382

Everything is set and cured now, so in theory I could fill it tomorrow, with my day off....but since I'm away for a week, from Saturday, I figured starting up a pump in my living room, without any supervision, might be asking for it. So tomorrow I'll have a last check for any leaks, I'll wire up the raspberry pi tank controller and I'll get ready for filling it in a weeks time.
So how you go with this mate?

Can't for the photos and more updates

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
So how you go with this mate?

Can't for the photos and more updates
I'm still away, won't be back until Friday night...Then the fun begins :-)

I'll be dropping by Aquaristics for the frag day as well. It will be nice to meet a few people and those raffle prizes look pretty good as well.