Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
A Long Day's Work & The End Of An Era
Well, I have to say that the tank got a very serious make-over yesterday! I had an experienced eye come around and we went to work, removing some of the old, brown acro's from the tank, clearing out room and removing a couple of problems! I think overall it was a great success and I got some AMAZING frags too :D
As the day begun the canvas looked a little like this:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1500_edited_zpszvj9i8tx.jpg

With lots of putty, glue and, well, a few choice words when things weren't sticking lol we worked through and did as much as we could. The scape of the tank is unchanged but it was a little bit of an acro revamp and it turned out real nice :) lol and so this is what we're finished with:
Under actinic tubes
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1599_edited_zpsrgdcpush.jpg

And with the halide on, please excuse the cloudiness lol:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1646_edited_zpsbq00myh0.jpg

Across the top, it's a little more fraggy now lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1648_edited_zps1vnotihz.jpg

Around the smaller clam got a bit of a mix up too
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1610_edited_zps8zqrvmfe.jpg

Now on to some of the glorious, amazing frags that I got! I honestly could not be more blown away with these babies!!
Pavona maldivensis, there was an acro glued to the dead spot haha but that was moved elsewhere!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1632_edited_zpstrvcv5lu.jpg

I think this is known as the teal stag? Either way the hairiness and colour on this are pretty cool!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1624_edited_zpsa60t4ipo.jpg

This one is definitely going to be a stunner!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1627_edited_zps1mrjl6mu.jpg

One of the pinkest acro's I've ever seen!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1631_edited_zpsy7smnecc.jpg

The colours on this are impossible to photograph. It is literally the coolest acro I've ever seen, it is the most vibrant purple and the corallites don't even look real they glow that much! Even if that was the only thing going for it it's a pretty unbeatable piece but the real kicker on this baby is the bright orange polyps! H.O.L.Y SHIT! Annnnddd here's my shitty photo that does it no justice :p
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1623_edited_zpsnlr58b6d.jpg

Not a newbie but I'm FINALLY getting some actual nice blue growth on this tenuis!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1589_edited_zpskz0nipdk.jpg

Now there's going to be a big change in the way I run the tank for henceforth.. I'm no longer running zeo. As I've currently moved out and the tank is still at home, I haven't had the chance to be back there every day, especially with work. This has meant that a lot of zeo dosing has been missed and the stones are probably coming up to two or three months old now so they're doing jack! In fact all dosing of anything but Ca, Alk and Mg has ceased. The only things in the tank aside from them now are carbon and the skimmer (and the stones as I've been too lazy to pull them out lol).
The other major change I'm making will be to add a few litres of Seachem Matrix, not the carbon but the biological growth media. It's about 20x more effective than traditional live rock (averaged out) so I'm thinking a few litres of this should give the tank a good kick up the bum to get me some glowing acro's!
I've also changed one of the pure actinic bulbs to a lagoon blue and I much prefer it for the acro's, I lose some pop with the zoa's but I can deal till I get some LED strips :) That's about it really lol I'll post some more if I think of it!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
A purple glowing orange polyp'd acro... I've seen it all now. :worship
Unreal mate so many nice corals and frags.
What were some of the problems you removed?
Hopefully all goes well with the tank being at another house! I'm sure you'll be thinking about it non stop!

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
Looking great, I love new frags and checking the growth on them as they start to encrust and throw out new polyps

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Awesome mate, pretty bloody handy for a tank that isn't even where you live!!

I'm with Lesley, what were the "issues" you removed?

Feb 22, 2013
Looking fab as usual. I've been neglecting my tank last few months as well. Your tank looks about a million times better than my neglected tank!
Would be interested to see how the matrix works.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
A purple glowing orange polyp'd acro... I've seen it all now. :worship
Unreal mate so many nice corals and frags.
What were some of the problems you removed?
Hopefully all goes well with the tank being at another house! I'm sure you'll be thinking about it non stop!
Me too, you should see the friggin colony though. There are actually no words that could even come close to describing it!

Most just big ol' browned/unhappy acro's that were looking pretty average which freed up a lot of space but the other major pain in my behind that got removed was the urchin that kept moving my rockwork! It was a two person job to get him out as part of the scape needed to be lifted lol he's gone to a better place now and the scape is much happier for it! It's not like he ate any algae anyway, just the bloody coralline lol
I think so far I haven't done too badly but I really want to move/upgrade across!! I miss the tank and my pets terribly!!

Ultra cool mate .
Thanks Nils! :)

Looking great, I love new frags and checking the growth on them as they start to encrust and throw out new polyps
Nothing beats seeing a new frag get that growth spurt :) with the way some of the larger pieces are going, the growth tips are killer colours!

Awesome mate, pretty bloody handy for a tank that isn't even where you live!!

I'm with Lesley, what were the "issues" you removed?
Thanks Sam :)

You might want to check again though, that ain't Lesley :P haha I mentioned what above though lol

Looking fab as usual. I've been neglecting my tank last few months as well. Your tank looks about a million times better than my neglected tank!
Would be interested to see how the matrix works.
Cheers man :) Well my neglect hasn't been too bad, I've still managed a water change weekly and over the last couple of weeks a little more frequently :) so it's just the zeo that's had the neglect lol

So will I! I've seen it in action in a few tanks and it's done wonders for them so hopefully it does the same for me!

that 2nd last one is stunning, send it up to me so i can take a pic for you :p
haha sure, but if it comes back with any branches missing, there will be trouble! :P

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Me too, you should see the friggin colony though. There are actually no words that could even come close to describing it!

Most just big ol' browned/unhappy acro's that were looking pretty average which freed up a lot of space but the other major pain in my behind that got removed was the urchin that kept moving my rockwork! It was a two person job to get him out as part of the scape needed to be lifted lol he's gone to a better place now and the scape is much happier for it! It's not like he ate any algae anyway, just the bloody coralline lol
I think so far I haven't done too badly but I really want to move/upgrade across!! I miss the tank and my pets terribly!!

Thanks Nils! :)

Nothing beats seeing a new frag get that growth spurt :) with the way some of the larger pieces are going, the growth tips are killer colours!

Thanks Sam :)

You might want to check again though, that ain't Lesley :p haha I mentioned what above though lol

Cheers man :) Well my neglect hasn't been too bad, I've still managed a water change weekly and over the last couple of weeks a little more frequently :) so it's just the zeo that's had the neglect lol

So will I! I've seen it in action in a few tanks and it's done wonders for them so hopefully it does the same for me!

haha sure, but if it comes back with any branches missing, there will be trouble! :p
not missing just shorter haha

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Looking good. Its difficult to tell from the photos, but have you planned adequate space for when your corals expand?

About Pavona maldivensis, are they relatively easy to keep? I think I have one.

Also, this Seachem Matrix. Any idea how it compares to the other matrices like Marine Pure. I used Seachem Matrix before and will be using it again when I set up my new tank.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Oh man you poor thing! To have to live away from your tank must be killing you....looks like the tank couldn't give a shit that you have gone cause its looking as good as ever...lol
Stunning mate!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
not missing just shorter haha
Maybe when it's long enough to be able to be shorter haha

Looking good. Its difficult to tell from the photos, but have you planned adequate space for when your corals expand?

About Pavona maldivensis, are they relatively easy to keep? I think I have one.

Also, this Seachem Matrix. Any idea how it compares to the other matrices like Marine Pure. I used Seachem Matrix before and will be using it again when I set up my new tank.
haha nope, everything is stacked in there real good! :p I'm moving the tank soon/potentially upgrading so it's not a really vital aspect at the moment :)

I don't know lol first one I've ever kept but I would say yes they're fairly straight forward.

Well for one it's a sintered glass media (I think) which is completely inorganic so it has absolutely no potential to leach anything which is a good thing straight up! Secondly the porosity is higher in matrix in about everything except for Sera Siporax. I'm keen to give it a go so I'll be tracking how it goes lol

Oh man you poor thing! To have to live away from your tank must be killing you....looks like the tank couldn't give a shit that you have gone cause its looking as good as ever...lol
Stunning mate!
Yeah it's horrible :( I miss the tank and my fish heaps!! I really can't wait to move the tank over and have it with me all the time again! But you're right, as long as the tank is feed it doesn't care in the slightest if I'm there haha

E

ezza

It looks beautiful!!! I can't believe the amazing colours you have in those Acro frags. I need something to kick my Acro into gear.

I had matrix in my sump when I first started. Mind you, I had a DSB too, it just never allowed me to drop the nutrients low enough and it held onto a lot of debris- also causing nutrient issues. I like balls. They seem to be the best of both worlds. Big enough so the crap doesn't stick, holey enough so the bacteria can have a bacteria party. Even so, my aquarium is not even comparable to yours. Obviously monitor it and see how it goes and stop if you need to.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It looks beautiful!!! I can't believe the amazing colours you have in those Acro frags. I need something to kick my Acro into gear.

I had matrix in my sump when I first started. Mind you, I had a DSB too, it just never allowed me to drop the nutrients low enough and it held onto a lot of debris- also causing nutrient issues. I like balls. They seem to be the best of both worlds. Big enough so the crap doesn't stick, holey enough so the bacteria can have a bacteria party. Even so, my aquarium is not even comparable to yours. Obviously monitor it and see how it goes and stop if you need to.
Thank you :) I have a long way to go to catch up to some of the big shots but I'm pretty happy with how it's rolling at the moment :)

They will be getting a weekly stir to ensure that nothing gets really trapped in there and I will be using waaayyy over the recommended amount as well lol but I'll definitely keep an eye out for those things so thank you :)