Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Adjusted Rock Again
I have too much rock. If anyone wants any, I have a few pieces that I would be happy to pass on.

I adjusted the scape last night as I have had a lot of trouble with detritus build up over the last week or so. My skimmer had stopped working, requiring a full clean out along with the reactor. They're functioning again now. Though I shouldn't have, I did a water change today too. My husband didn't help with that when he should have, so it was 2 weeks since the last change. It's a bit better now. There're still too much crap in the system though.

Sorry it's so blue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Have you tried a filter sock?
A filter sock will out perform a skimmer any day.
Many tanks run quite fine without skimmers.
Best of luck.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
What's creating/making bubbles ? As you know Ezza I have a similar scape do can be quite tricky. I've always found 1 power head higher up just breaking surface, other one lower down still pointing upwards. The 2 flows clash and create turbulence in the Center of the tank & forces water downwards. You will actually see little whirlpools every so often when the meet. Hope this helps

E

ezza

Just the Wave makers @Lesley , I was moving them around yesterday to blow the detritus up from the sand so I could get some out the overflow. I was messing around with flow types and strength too. They're not in their "normal" positions but, I'm not sure the normal positions are best. I'll deal with the bubbles another day!

@slin1977 , I don't have any filter socks but I think I need them. I have used filter wool at times to catch debris, but I ran out a couple of weeks ago and didn't replace it. It was doing a great job but I think I caused a phosphate spike with it (now gone).

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
@slin1977 , I don't have any filter socks but I think I need them. I have used filter wool at times to catch debris, but I ran out a couple of weeks ago and didn't replace it. It was doing a great job but I think I caused a phosphate spike with it (now gone).[/QUOTE]

Could try using that toy dog , looks fluffy enough to me ;-)

E

ezza

He has been threatened with it @slin1977 , it's the funniest thing. Hold him up supporting his belly near water and he starts to "swim". It's so cute :)