Tank Journal Archive

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Ai Prime Hd, New Additions, Recovering Corals, And Over-saturated Photos!
Hi all,

So if you've read my last journal entry, you'll know I got sick, let my tank slide into misery, mostly, and lost a few babies here and there. It's been steadily improving since last entry, with a happy nod to Seachem Plus and Trace, and even after going on holidays for two weeks, with someone only topping up RO, the worst I came back to was a GHA and Aiptasia Kingdom.

I have been consistent with water changes, GHA scrubbed off easy with Phos X, nuked the aiptasia (die, die, die) and things are improving.

I bought an AI Prime Hydra the other day and I freaking love it. It doesn't look great in the photos, hence the over-saturated photos :p, but it looks good in person. I love watching the colours change throughout the day as it ramps up, peaks, ramps down to blues at night, and then moonlights. I know it's not the ideal tank, but it's improved a lot, and I'm happy.

20161212_151205.jpg

It's due for a waterchange in a few days, so I need to stick the rocks down properly and see if I can make a more interesting form. The ones circled (in the smaller version below) are corals that have grown onto the rock, so I can't move them. Everything else is moveable and won't attach because I keep knocking them down :p Any suggestions for placement of things? The Ricordea injured the Duncan behind it. I'll have to do something there...

20161212_1512058.jpg

Below is some random shots from different sides. It looks both empty and full...
Reef01.jpg

Cheeky bastard. When my little Mandarin vanished from existence about a year ago, we got this bugger. I knew he wasn't fish friendly, but I didn't know he hated Peppermint Shrimp too....those poor buggers :p I swear it killed off some pest crabs in my tank too (that probably killed and ate my little Mandarin) as I've only seen one...
Edit: I see you, baby aiptasia >=(
20161212_151324.jpg

Random shots of my mushies/morphs and the ever expanding ricordea...
They're not stuck down, so any advice on where to stick them? I was worried they wouldn't like the new light, but I've had no negative reaction from them.
20161212_151803.jpg

Picked up some GSP. Would love to see if I can get a GSP wall going. I can dream :p It's resting here for now....
20161212_151300.jpg

And last, some ailing corals...
My Duncan was going great, until the Ric melted a few arms when we were away, shown below, and then cyano moved in (just onto those arms, which was weird), so he's not as happy and puffy as usual (although he's happier when the tank is dirty).
These Acans are liking the new light. They were barely-alive specks of flesh the other day. Victims from my previous sickness and neglect of the tank. :(
20161212_151939.jpg

Anywho, sorry for the picture dump! I know it's not the best, coral experts are cringing, but I'll get there. :) I'm hoping now with the better light I'll see more of a coralline algae boost, zoas, palys and morphs spreading, that cheeky xenia baby taking off. Here's hoping! :)

If anyone has any advice for coral placement, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance! :)