Tank Journal Archive

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Amphipod Armageddon
After some time spent watching my amphipods in action, and scrutinizing the aftermath, I have concluded that the little monsters are eating some of my zoas!! :eek:rage
I had a look online to see what other people's experience has been and there are two decided camps: those who swear amphipods don't eat zoas and those who swear they do.
I have also noticed that I appear to have either two different species of amphipod or they are in two different life cycle phases - one sort is very large (size of my little finger nail) and transparent with iridescent flashes when they catch the light and the other sort is smaller and reddish-brown. The large ones are the ones I have watched nibbling on the zoas.
At first, I thought they were just cleaning algae or muck off the zoas but I have spotted one lot of zoas that have had their insides eaten out, leaving just the outside shell and I have watched one of the large amphipods driving its face into the top of a zoa from this cluster and, apparently, eating its insides.
Further research suggests a certain type of amphipod will eat certain types of zoas. Apparently they leave Palys alone.
My amphipods aren't nocturnal either - they are all over the zoas and swarming the tank 24/7, light or not.
So I am now on the hunt for a small, nano-size fish (or invert) - I'm thinking a Falco Hawk Fish - that will scoff the little beasts and wipe them out. My crabs apparently don't eat them - they seem to eat algae only and Mikhail didn't eat them either - way too big for his little mouth.
Other than eating some of the zoas, the amphipods irritate the zoas and morphs by walking over them all the time.
I suppose its possible the zoas will get used to it and ignore them after a while but there is also the personal feelings issue: amphipods look distressingly similar to giant fleas and seeing them swarming everywhere makes me want to flea-bath the cat and wash my hair repeatedly. URGH!!
So they have to go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
i take it that mikail is a mandarin? there may be some wrasses that could do the job?

Morphology

Not all mushrooms are kept in the dark...
Oct 6, 2013
Aspendale
It's a chicken-egg situation from what I've read. If there is sick stuff around, they will eat the dying tissue as soon as it starts breaking down. I've got tonnes of them and they all just nibble around everything and keep it all clean. If something starts dying back they are onto it quick smart. That said - perhaps if there isn't anything for them to feed on maybe zoos are a safe snack.