Tank Journal Archive

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
And So It Begins....
This will be fun ... I dont know what I sign up for sometimes .. Ad's you still got that scolly I gave you ;) I need a freebie :)

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
hahahah still have the planted going for the moment, looking at moving, yet again in a few months... i have recently bought a jebao rw-8 to play with and a dosing unit...once I move i'll either go reefing or plants still... i am enjoying the free time I have now that I am not playing with a reef tank for hours a day!! I was even looking at bring back the fanatics site but alas, cant be bothered either... i am so lazy these days!!

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Ok, I am going to pull a Jamo on this tank and take my time ;)

Drilling of the CADE and installation of the overflow will occur on the weekend!

Project items still requiring action:

- design and build a sump
- get some lights ( am thinking of a kessil 360, MML or hydra 52)
- get a return pump (will prob go Tunze silence)
- get a skimmer (tunze 9012 is looking good at this stage)
- pilfer some dead rock from someone
- get my coral sand from my parents place
- set up my 200lts barrels on the balcony
- replace RODI filter
- claim the scolly i gave Ad's back again (this will tell me if you are reading my journal mate ;) )
- get a pellet reactor and some pellets to run in it
- get a GFO reactor
-

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Azfish surfaces from under a rock and takes a big gulp of air , sinks to the bottom and contemplates his next move.

Glad you still alive mate!!!!

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
yeah still around and wearing out shafts ;)

I'm keen as to get into another reef tank, just not keen on the work involved hahahahah i am a simple man these days

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Watch out, another post incoming for 2015!! Glass is getting cut for weir Saturday so I wil drill the tank and install the weir this weekend, yay!! Whilst it's curing, will arrange the black perspex for the weir cover and the weir combs!!

Will post pics of the CADE conversion over the weekend

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
The Tank is now wet :) Spent the better part of the weekend on the tank and getting it to a point where I can throw a return pump on it and leak test it etc .. happy to report, one minor leak in of the drains but it's over the sump so no harm no foul!!

Threw a heater in last night to bring the temp up to 24c, will add some salt tonight .. then it's getting left alone for a month or two .. still need to get some macro for the sump and make up a sock holder from scrap acrlylic I have laying around..

Skimmer is doing my head in, cant decide between the JNS C01, Tunze 9012 or the Coral Box d500!!!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I feed my fish NLS and the corals get CV from zeovit - this should make your choice simple..... Pic taken 30 secs ago.
image.jpg

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
OK... its been close to 3 weeks since getting this thing wet and 2 weeks of running the skimmer. Updates for today are, tank is now looking like a mighty fine brown mess! this is to be expected and welcomes actually! I expect the brown to last for another week or so before moving onto the green!

The skimmer is doing well, 2 weeks in and I have a small amount of nice dark brown skimmate, not bad considering I only have 3kgs of ' live rock and some chaeto, the rest of the rock was base!! I did though need to sit on t take away container as 20cm was too deep and running on speed 3 doesnt produce enough bubbles for my liking, so increased the height, went up to the 4th speed and dialed the gate in so I got the nice dry foam I require.

ATO was set up on the weeekend, anyone wanting to buy the coral box ATO, not a bad unit for the coin, instructions were useless but it works in the end.

Next purchase will be a bio pellet reactor, given how simple these really are in design, vendors are charging a fortune still! I am very tempted to get some acrylic tubes and just make my own and have it overlflow from the top out i.e no lid. Or get a RO filter compartment and mod it to be a pellet reator somehow. Or i'll just say bugger it and purchase a prefab one!!

Tank is going to sit and cycle now until probably end of November now, then i'll purchase the first of the fish: decora and lawnmower blenny...also need to arrange a CUC. Not touching hermits this time around, way to many issues with them in the past! Will stick to turbos,ceriths, trochus and maybe some Nassarius snails.