Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I just use a syphon to achieve the same result, although using the tap pressure to start the water flow is a good idea. I'm not quite so sure about their method of refilling the aquarium.

I don't know if the faucet sizes are universal but I'm sure you could make something fit if you had too.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
No I would never use it for fill. Even in freshwater I don't think that's a great idea.

I've researched it a bit now and everyone says they break if you look at them too hard. Turns out it's just a repackaged spa cleaning venturi that was taken off the market in Britain due to poor quality. The venturi (the tap connector bit) can be bought in the UK for about AUD15 (old stock) so you're paying a lot for the hose and packaging.

Yes, it's the siphon start that's got me interested, with limited mobility I'm always looking to make maintenance easier, I might make my own with pvc fittings, there's not that much too it.

Ahh brainstorm......I've got an old Vax in the shed, the motor is self contained in the top of the vacuum cleaner so I might be able to put a tatank bulkhead in the lower drum and run a hose from that as a drain. Eliminate the need for siphon altogether, plus it will do the sump. Sounds like an experiment coming on :)