Reef Discussion

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
Arduino Newbie
Hi guys and girls

I'm thinking of giving an arduino ago. mainly to monitor at this stage but possibly looking at some control in the future.
I've been looking at the starter kits just to get some idea of what I'm doing. Any suggestions every thing I've read so far just makes it more confusing.

Thanks
Shaun

longlenium

Jul 22, 2013
I'm currently running arduino 8266 with rtc. It a good cheap system. Running for two years straight with no problem. I got everything from eBay

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi guys and girls

I'm thinking of giving an arduino ago. mainly to monitor at this stage but possibly looking at some control in the future.
I've been looking at the starter kits just to get some idea of what I'm doing. Any suggestions every thing I've read so far just makes it more confusing.

Thanks
Shaun
Good luck :)

You don't need much to get started - an Arduino nano, a breadboard and some wires, a few low power LEDS and resistors is enough to begin. Learn the basics first - flash a LED, flash 2 LED's etc. Then, when you understand the basics you can start on some things for your tank.

What are you hoping to monitor and/or control?

I would suggest you look at ESP8266
I don't disagree with this as some of the modules will provide as much as an Arduino nano, but with inbuilt WiFi. But, there will be more tutorials built around an Arduino than there are for ESP8266's so, at least initially, it might be useful to get an Arduino.

eBay is the cheapest place to buy everything you need, but you need to be patient and you need to be prepared for some things not to work !

I am almost ready to finalise my thread on an ESP8266 based temperature monitor which will send texts or emails as required - keep an eye out for this over the next week or so ...