Tank Journal Archive

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Ato Advice Please
I have been researching my options for an ATO for my new tank, and I would appreciate some advice from the forum. I'm able to run a pipe through the wall behind my tank into a storage closet, so I was thinking about setting up a decent sized ATO reservoir to feed RO into the sump. I was planning on plumbing a 1" PVC pipe through the wall and then I will just feed the wiring and tubing through the pipe and into the sump.

The options I'm considering are:
  1. the Smart ATO (I've been put off a bit by the issues others are having with the wet-side rusting)
  2. Tunze 3155 (seems to be a popular and reliable option, though a bit more expensive)
  3. A combined ATO/Doser
At the moment I'm leaning towards the combined ATO/Doser even though I don't expect to start dosing straight away. Does anybody have any experience with either the Kamoer F05X or the Kore 5th or any other combined units? I was also considering automated water changes as an option down the track, as I have plenty of space to hide away NSW and waste water reservoirs in the closet.

I appreciate any advice regarding the above. Thanks!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Personally I like the smart ATO as a stand alone unit, the rusting wet side has been addressed with current versions and the 'quirks' have been explained as actually decent smarts.

Haven't had much to do with the new kamoer, but didn't like the look of it to be honest.

Auto water change is a good move. Check out the litre meter units and let me know if you have any questions.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have the Tunze 3155 (can't remember how long but I would guesstimate coming on 10 years) and it has never failed me - still on the original pump.

"price is forgotten long after quality is remembered"

I have no experience with anything else other than manual top ups ;)

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I would not recommend the smart ATO. I have one and the wet side rusting is just one issue. It seems the salt air environment has also stuffed up the contacts where the pump and power plug in. Mine is in an open cabinet, I suspect it would be even worse enclosed.

I also find it poor that there was no notification or automatic replacement of known issues with the wet side. Many of us only found out when corals started dying :(

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have the Tunze 3155 (can't remember how long but I would guesstimate coming on 10 years) and it has never failed me - still on the original pump.

"price is forgotten long after quality is remembered"

I have no experience with anything else other than manual top ups ;)
I have been running a second hand 3155 for around 4 years now and it has never missed a beat. I have replaced the pump once but they are cheap anyway.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Thanks everybody for the advice. I do like the look of the Elos ATO, but they seem pretty hard to come by. The design of the Smart ATO appeals to me, but I think I'll probably go for the Tunze if I can find it for a reasonable price. Seems like a reliable unit.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I would not recommend the smart ATO. I have one and the wet side rusting is just one issue. It seems the salt air environment has also stuffed up the contacts where the pump and power plug in. Mine is in an open cabinet, I suspect it would be even worse enclosed.

I also find it poor that there was no notification or automatic replacement of known issues with the wet side. Many of us only found out when corals started dying :(
To be fair @Sam Parker said it was an issue with earlier models and since rectified.

And when you say *many of us* how many have found rusted wet sides? Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't think it's 100% of units sold. Also, did you contact the manufacturer/supplier? If it's a known issue they may be happy to asist.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Another one for Tunze here, mine's been going 3/4 years without a hitch now :) I also have the Kore 5th and while I haven't used the ATO function I can see it'll be a good one as they have the right sensors and everything and the software is pretty awesome to use :) I love mine and would cuse the ATO and WC features in the drop of a hat if I had the motivation to do it haha

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
aen.mercopress.com_data_cache_noticias_46865_0x0_cartel.jpg

sorry, couldn't help myself... As you can tell, it is a minefield. Each person has had their own experiences, one thing is for sure - people universally like the tunze - but then again, it is the most expensive.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Here is the response I got from Auto Aqua re the rusty sensor.

sorry to hear of the rusty magnet. This happens on a very few of SATO. A very few of magnets in the first batch were not sealed well. The issue has been identified and remedied. We have made improvement on the magnets. Few magnets rust and crack after the first batch. Our magnets now are sealed well and covered with expoxy(waterproof). So far, we haven't heard of any improved magnets that rust. Your magnet might be from the first batch.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Here is the response I got from Auto Aqua re the rusty sensor.

sorry to hear of the rusty magnet. This happens on a very few of SATO. A very few of magnets in the first batch were not sealed well. The issue has been identified and remedied. We have made improvement on the magnets. Few magnets rust and crack after the first batch. Our magnets now are sealed well and covered with expoxy(waterproof). So far, we haven't heard of any improved magnets that rust. Your magnet might be from the first batch.
To me that's a rubbish reply and I would expect better.

Eg. Tunze replaced all the shafts that rusted on the early 6020's (or whatever the model was). You might pay a little extra but it's the support that gives you piece of mind.

Auto Aqua would have got a piece of my mind if they replied to me with that.

Hope it's all sorted for you guys now.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'd suggest talking with Beyond the Sea Reef rather than Auto Aqua (if you bought locally).

They were fantastic, replaced with just a photo of the rusted item and I had it the next day.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Yeah I was going to get nasty with them, the rusting sensor has basically wiped out my tank over a period of 2-3 months but hard to prove its the root cause.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Yeah odd, mine rusted out and caused no drama. I figured it was just a little extra GFO in the tank
How long was yours in the water for before you replaced it? I recall I got mine Xmas 2013, so it was wet for just over 2 years, it could have been breaking down the entire time.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Mine was one of the first in Australia, got it as a pre-order.

Id have to agree about the rust though, would probably be from day 1