Tank Journal Archive

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
August 2015
Long time no update and thought id better let everyone know im still here!

Tank is ticking along nicely now after a few speed bumps over the past few months. It seemed every time i had some sort of stability something would happen to knock it off track! First there was the 4 day power outage after the storms we had, then a couple of months later my light failed and tank went without main light source for over a week. As well as two or three instances of skimmer overflowing into sump for days on end.

ANyway, the tank has fair very well and im getting great growth and colour is starting to improve.

My light has been changed to an ATI hybrid 8x24w after my halide blew another ballast. i am really liking the t5s now and the LED provides a little shimmer that i could not do without. still not near the intensity of the Giesmann MH BUT my chiller hasn't come on since switching and temps have been much more stable so i no longer have to dread summer power bills lol.

Skimmer got its first clean since set up, was pretty much white with calcification from the water line down!

Hoping to get someone to come take some photos soon as mine are always shit!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Your coral were growing like weapons from memory- and your aquascape rocks were covered in coralline - need your secrets spilt!
Are you zeovitting?
If so pls provide the dosing details-
Cheers

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
Biopellets with Fauna Marin.

I started the tank using Microbe Lift bacterias, (Fuck loads) and Microbe lift coralline accelerator. Did Cause high calcium for a while but it soon went down. I then switched to Fauna Marin and the results are very good :)

upload_2015-8-10_14-11-1.png

This is what i'm doing at the moment, am slowly weaning off some of the products now. FM is much more simple and 'gentler' than Zeovit. Concentrates more on overall coral health rather than stripping the water right down and having them teetering on the edge of death.

I do think i would get better results faster if i put stones in place of the biopellets but i want to persist at least until end of the year to see if i am happy with it. If not ill bite the bullet and put a zeolite reactor in lol.