Reef Discussion

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Auto fish feeders
I'm thinking it's time to get a fish feeder of some description, but I'm really not sure what.

The tank is lightly stocked, so I'm scared that these devices would push out way too much food, but I'm really not sure. At the moment I'm only thinking of needing it at easter, as I'd like to go away for 3 days or so, and my fish feeder will be away at the same time. Longer term, I'd like it to be able to do a weeks worth come Bathurst weekend :D

I don't have much of a budget for one (like seriously, I'm embarrassed kind of budget), but any thoughts on ones that will do the job?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If its for 3 days id just give the fish a couple of feeds the day you leave and a few when you get back, i go away for work alot and to be honest a week isnt any real issue either.

I have an ehiem one kicking around it isnt bad short term but after a few days the pellets form a solid lump and the flakes turn to moosh from the humidity. If your not opposed to ghetto and have a 2 spare air pumps around and a timer and some piping, the a brine shrimp hatchery in a 2l coke bottle with an air lift pump out on a timer seems to work well? add a bit of green water and they will fatten up and be extra nutritious?

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
In that clip it does look like it dumped a lot of food but what setting was it on, maybe they put it on a higher feed setting for the demonstration.

Andries

Jan 14, 2012
Gold Coast
In that clip it does look like it dumped a lot of food but what setting was it on, maybe they put it on a higher feed setting for the demonstration.
They are fully adjustable, if you look at the picture you will see it is set to full open and why it dumped food.