Reef Discussion

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Autofeeders and nanos?
I'm going to be away for a week in October (Bathurst.. )..

Which gets me worried about my nano - and more specifically it's occupants. Two fish and a couple of coral don't exactly eat much, and I'm worried that if I buy an auto feeder that it's lowest setting may still feed way too much.

I don't really have anyone who can feed them manually as regularly as I'd like. Anyone have any experience with auto feeders and using them on nanos?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Heh - that's what the ATO is for ;) Holds about 15 litres of water, so if it uses all of that in a week, I've got other problems :P
I decided it was important after having to train my former housemates how to top up the tank at Easter when I was away.
Of course, I didn't have any fish back then.

As long as a couple of fish can last a week or so, then it's OK.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have left my 4ft tank for 2 weeks with no issues other than significant algae growth :eek:

That being said, there is always a risk in leaving a tank unattended for any period of time - power trips, heaters or pumps stop working etc. I would not do anything new to the tank in the two weeks before you leave i.e. new fish or corals, new pumps, dosing new stuff etc and then cross your fingers and enjoy your holiday.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Power trips worry me the most. Will probably have someone through the house a couple of times to throw food out for the cat, but by then it would be too late if it happens.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
id look into an autofeeder and a large container for FW topup. try get it running for a few days before you go away tho!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
id look into an autofeeder and a large container for FW topup. try get it running for a few days before you go away tho!
My ATO's container holds 10-15l, which based on my current evap top ups should last 2-3 weeks.

As for an autofeeder, I'd have to find one...

Cheeko

Aug 3, 2011
Brisbane
Maybe you can Get a Block like the Fresh waters Gold Fish chuck it in last 2 weeks but i Doubt it just a thought and a Joke.