Tank Journal Archive

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Back On The Good Foot
adrive_google_com_uc_ce9804264507c58a80407e5202839f3e._.jpg

Over the past few weeks I've made some changes to the lighting setup, adding a pair of giesemann razors (54w) to supplement the AP700.

Basically what I've done is to install a pair of cade light stands and then hang a DIY floating canopy that holds the 3 light fixtures. This also freed up the rim of the tank and allowed me to install a mesh screen cover.

I would really, really have liked access to the rear of the tank as to get this job done as I had to drain and move the tank to be able to mount the light stands :banghead Given that the cycle had recently completed, I found this a bit demoralising, but pushed on hoping for better results in the long term. My partner has concluded that "it'll take a while, but be worth it" is the catch-phrase of this aquarium build :rolleyes

I've installed ATI T5 tubes (2x actinic, 1x blue+, 1x coral+) in the razors and have set them to run for 6 hours in the middle of the day (with the kessil peaking at 30% currently). This is my first foray into T5 lighting - would love to hear any tips regarding bulb combos / lighting schedules etc to promote coral colouration and health. For pure aesthetics I'm hoping the LED can tweak the (combined) colour to my liking.

So far I'm very happy with the aesthetic of the mixed lights (thanks for the advice @Sam Parker). I have a bunch of LPS in another tank that will be making there way into this tank - I'm planning to take a few photos over time to compare any changes in colouration :cool:

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks Sam - this photo looks a much deeper blue. IRL it's closer to the light patch on the wall beside the top right corner of the tank. Guess that's what I get for using a potato for a camera :p

There's actually some fish in there too, but more on that later ;)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah I wasn't reading too far into the colour as I know cameras don't accurately replicate that so well. Was more meaning the look of the floating crown with it all neatly mounted inside. Love it!

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I see - thanks man!
On a side note, I'm become quite smitten with the paint - british paints "black beauty" oil based enamel - would absolutely use it again.